1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Huge Noob Question - what are pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. KYJazzy


    Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Hey guys, feel like a dope. The subject says it all.

    I'm interested in pickin' up a 4banger from Rondomusic and everyone talks about how bad the pickups and pots are, and how you should change em.

    Well...... what are pots? :help:

    Thanks, didn't find any answer in searching, sorry for the new thread.
  2. pots is a shortname term for "potentiometer"...a variable resistor...that's what your knobs are connected to -- pots.

    on passive basses (basses without battery powered preamps in them)...pots are used for volume controls and tone controls (tone control pot has a capacitor connected to it, as well)

    on active basses ... pots are used for the same things...but usually are part of the preamp circuitry...so they do the same thing, just electronically in a different way.
  3. KYJazzy


    Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Hmmm okay, so how do you go about replacing pots?

    What do they look like?

    Where do you get GOOD pots? :help:

    Sorry about all these questions.
  4. have a look in your control cavity...I see you're talking about a Jazz bass, so they're under plate where the knobs are...they are what the knobs are connected to.

    pots are replaced by de-soldering the old ones, pulling the knobs off, undoing the anchor nuts...

    good pots can be found at stewmac.com, guitarelectronics.com, guitarpartsresource.com...to name a few...CTS pots are a good brand of pots...