1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Huge Price Difference between Lakland 44-01/44-02 and 55-01/55-02...what's up?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, May 10, 2007.

1. In Australia, one online music shoppe in particular has $1200 AU price differences between Skyline 44-01 and 44-02 and between 55-02 and 55-01.

The only difference AFAIK is the pickups...the -01 has dual split-coil soapbars, and the -02 is a J/MM setup (MM is coil tappable)...

How does such a minor difference justify nearly $1000 US????? $200-$300? yes...$1000? nah uh!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    IIRC different preamps too. At least mine did.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think a $1,200 AU is maybe $300-$400 US. The biggest difference between the 55-01 and 55-02 is that the 55-02 has US made Barts instead of Korean made. I think the electronics on the 55-02 are not installed in Korea, but in Chicago at the Lakland shop.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And it's the whole package, not just pickups.

5. $1200AUD is currently $994USD. That is an awfully large difference, especially when one could buy a 2nd hand of either on Ebay with the difference.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The only thing I can think of is that maybe the 55-01s you get come directly from Korea, while the 55-02s go to Chicago first, and shipping and extra customs get tacked on to your cost. The cost difference between the two models is not nearly that great in the USA.

7. The 44-01 & 55-01 are completely made in Korea. The electronics are Bartolini made and installed in Korea. The only thing that happens to these once they arrive at the Lakland shop in Chicago is quality control. They refine the fret job and make sure everything is top notch before it goes out.
    The 44-02 & 55-02 models have the same electronics and pickups installed in the US that are on the US models 4-94 & 55-94. They also go through the same quality controls. I own 4, soon to be 5 Lakland basses. I've played -01 series basses at the store that I buy from. They are excellent basses. I would say the -02 series has more sound options because of the pickup configurations, but they both sound great. They have the same body and necks.
    I hope this helps.

8. Please, check the exchange rate before you speak...

$1 US = $0.83 Australian..
    ...6 years ago, the US dollar used to be worth about $2 Aussie dollars...now it's under $1.25...(experiencing any inflation problems over there, lately?)

9. ahhh...so, it's another case of Aussies getting ripped off by American companies...

I had my heart set on 55-02 J/MM combination...but NO WAY am I going to pay $2800 AU (over $2200 US) for one...that's INSANE!

I just did some math on a spreadsheet...all things being equal, australians are getting ripped off $350 for -02 vs. the americans...that's SIGNIFICANT!

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    the 0s1 have Korean made pickups and preamp and the 02s have the same electronics as their US counterparts. I used to own a 55-01 and it was a veyr very good bass. Don't hesitate on getting an 01 model if you dont have the money for the 02s. They're better than a lot of more expensive basses I've played with. Aside from what everyone said about the differences on these series, I think the 02s are a lot more refined, clean and versatile in terms of sound. The 55-01 I owned was a little hissy on the premap but it sounded great with the band.

Go for the one you can afford, both series are way better than their pricetag IMO.

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    +1

They're not Barts anymore - the stock electronics on both the -02 and -94 are the Lakland pickups and preamp, the former being wound in-house. Barts are still an option on the USA basses AFAIK, but I'm not sure about the Skylines.

IMO the -01 electronics are acceptable, but just barely. The new Lakland elecs (and the Barts they replaced) are serious components that compare with the quality of these basses much better. I prefer the Lakland setup over Bart, but that's more an issue of preference than quality.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    You could always not buy them. Then no one is getting ripped off.

Just a thought.
    :)

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

IME the 01's and 02's definitely sounded different (I had both here for a while).

14. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I never said that they sound the same. I said they're both nice basses and I think a 55-01 is waaaay better thna a Fender 5 or similar priced basses. The 02s as I said, are more refined, versatile and all around more "professional" sounding IMO.

And I'm really wanting a 44-02 or 55-02 with thise Lakalnd pickups

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Did I say you did?

:confused:

I guess we're in violent agreement.

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Agreed. I've owned a 55-01, MIA P Deluxe 5, and a MIA Jazz five (passive) and imo the Lakland was the best sounding of the three. Killer B string, and cut through the mix like nobody's business.

To this day I still have no idea why I ever got rid of it.

17. this is good to know...although I had my heart set on a 55-02 (still do)...I can GAS with confidence a 55-01 instead of a Jazz 5...

18. stringsmith

stringsmith

Apr 7, 2005
    I have been playing Music Man basses (EB Sabre and 78 Stingray) for 20 years and my 55-01 sounds better than both of them! It also plays great. I love the wide string spacing and the flat feel of the neck. It's a wonderful Instrument for the money. I just got the USA Bartolini preamp in the mail and Im expecting this to make it close to the sound versatility of the 55-02

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I had a 55-01. While I liked it because it sounded different from a 55-94 (which s what the 02 sounds like IMO), I'd take a Fender Jazz 5 over it just about every time, especially used MIAs or newer MIMs.

20. Call the Bass Centre Melbourne. They do very well for us Aussies I think. Pretty sure they'll do you a 55-02 for about $2250.