Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Huge problemo! Needed: MUCH help quick!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selta, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, here's the story:
    I just bought this new head today (actually it's a PA head, but I'm gonna use it for a temp. bass head 'til I save enough for a real one). Anyway! I have this small combo, a Peavey Basic 112, which has a pre-amp out and a power amp in. Ok, so when I plug anything into my power amp in, I get this LOUD cracking, poping kind-of noise. Even if I don't have the head plugged in or turned on, or if it is pluged in and turned on, I still get this noise. I have the "head" (if that's what its called in combos) out of it, and see nothing that I can do (i.e. loose wires), but there's this very loud and bad noise. This is the only speaker I have for the time being, so I need to get this working. When I play just using normal input on the combo, it's prefect. When I do plug the head and and have it all setup, if I hit a note, I can hear it, but it's very quite as compared to this horrible noise. Any suggestions as to what to do? Thanks!
    Ray

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i think you're cooking the combo's tranny. :eek: you're running a line from the PA's power section right into the power section of the combo amp. not a good thing.

if you can afford a PA head, why couldnt you just get a simple cheap bass head? and i'm not too familiar with the Basic 112, but isnt that a guitar amp? in all likelyhood, you're gonna blow the speaker, cause it wont withstand the deep lows your bass puts out.

i say take back the PA head, ebay the combo, and get a real bass amp.

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Basic 112 is a bass amp

I don't see the point of using the PA head with it though.

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
  5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yes...the basic112 is a bass combo...and I dont wanna take this back seein' that I have 300w as compared to 50..

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Yah you may have the power but is it a good sounding "PA head"? You may want to buy a mxr or sansamp di pedal, you'll probably get alot better sound. But then again you probably need a cabinet right? What type of PA is it?

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Running 300watts into something expecting line level is going to fry the Basic. The only way to get the 300 watts would be to hot rod the combo, and I highly doubt the speaker can take 300 watts.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It's a Peavey..and it's actually running 100w into it...not 300...

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    IT DOESN'T MATTER!

The "power amp in" is an input to the combo's power amp. It is for plugging in a PREAMP. It is not for "plugging in a power amp". Your amp is probably fried by now.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Does your combo still work by itself?

If it does, that is what you want to use as a pre amp.

You run a LINE OUT from the combo to your new PA. You will need to get a sepperate speaker for the PA.

Try http://www.avatarspeakers.com for inexpensive, good quality cabs.

This will allow you to use those 300 watts. Your combo amp is not made to be a PA speaker cabinet. You would have to modify it to do that.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What you call a PA head is probably a poweramp.

The way to do it is connecting the PEAVEY's preamp out to the PA poweramp's line in.
    Then connect the speaker out of the poweramp to your cab.

NEVER PLUG ANYTHING BUT A SPEAKER INTO A SPEAKER OUT. It's called speaker out for a reason.

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah, the combo still works, as soon as I heard this noise I hit the power :) It was only in for maybe 3 seconds (until the capascitor [sp?] drained). So...bascially what ya'll are sayin' is just use this guy as a pre-amp (my Basic 112 combo), run the pre-amp to the PA head, then from the head, I run it into a seperate cab? Thanks!
    Ray

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think you should have held off and saved youf money instead of buying a PA Head... You basically wasted money on that. you can't trade it in and get what you paid for and you really aren't going to get the greatest tone out of it... more than likely..

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah, I didn't orginally buy it for a bass head, it's going to be used as a PA head (for vocals) as soon as I get a bass head...But yeah, everything is all-right in my combo, and now this head is going to be used for the vocals...as planned for the future, so now after I buy my Am. P-Bass, (YEA!) I'll start savin' for probably a carvin head....any suggestions on any other companies? Thanks all