Huge Sounding Small Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I am curious, if money is no object at all... What are some small setups that sound big?

So there are just two conditions. You can choose your favorite preamp, power amp and a pair of 110 speakers (or even 8s!) but 1) it has to be portable and 2) it has to sound big. By that I mean people will be wondering where you are hiding the 15... ;)

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Euphonic Audio speakers are IMO some of the best out there. I especially like the new CXL 110. It is a coaxial 10" speaker in a transmission line encloser. It is capable of handling over 300 watts, and goes down to around 40hz. That's impressive!
    The tiny cabinet handles a low B respectively, and could easily cut it on a gig.
    I also like their older cabs, including the VL108. It was the smallest cab I have ever played through.

I really like the Epifani 1x10" cab. I don't like the price, but it sounds amazing! Very full and punchy with a nice high end sparkle.

I have just purchased an Ashdown C110 300 combo, and I am very impressed with it. It handles low notes very well(for a 10"), and has a ton of headroom.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

Tech Soundsystems ND 110 XT:

Not sure about the preamp/poweramp. I'll post it later.

Tech has just a 1x10 combo out, but I don't know the specs yet - 300W I guess...
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Why compromise with a dinky little 10 when you can have the real thing in a tiny package?

Add a SansAmp RBI and a power amp, and off you go!

Wait a minute - that's pretty much my rig right now. Well, what do you know?

5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The cab is easy. AccuGroove Tri 10:

Second choice would be an Acme Low B-1.

Drive it with an Acoustic Image Clarus and you're set.
  6. Acme B-1 is -6dB at 31 Hz and 2 cubic feet, external volume.
  7. an article in bass player magazine compared the latest herd of 1 x 12's.

and..... drumroll.....

they said that the aguilar 1 x 12 wus the shiznit....
    begged to be treated like your beee-otch, it kicked some serious arsey...

for what it's worth.

8. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Anyone have experience with the Bag End S12-D. It has no you miss it? How does it compare with other small single 12"s? Cost?

Bag End S12-D
    Impedance 8 Ohms
    Continuous Sine Wave Power Handling 200 W
    Peak Music Program Power Handling 400 W
    Sensitivity 1 Watt/1 Meter 100 dB SPL
    Frequency Response 50-5kHz
    Dimensions HxWxD (in inches) 15.5 x 18.5 x 15.5
    Net Weight (in pounds) 41
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    that in itself defines Bagend bass cabinets :cool:

I used one hard for about 5 years (pop to metal to funk to blues)... was just getting broke in when I sold it (because I gave up jamming for a bit). I ran 300watts into a S12 & a S15. I was never wanting for more... It always had the ability to drown out Marshall & Peavey tube heads with 4x12's.

Sorry I don't know the price ... I got mine for $250 or so new in the early 90's
  10. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    To get back to the original question (;)) two EA VL110's are pretty surprising. That's what I use.

I went to a rehearsal tonight with my AMP amp, one VL-110 and an MTD 635. For a rig that may not even be 1 1/2' tall it kills.
  12. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The topic was price-no-object compact rigs. I can't afford one either.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - EA are the definition of what this thread is about!!

So - I use a VL208 and it does get a huge sound for the size. I use one with an Eden WT300 and it can get very loud and bassy - no problem projecting the B string - in fact I was playing at a Jazz jam session and we got complaints about the volume from streets away - and I was the only amplified player! ;)

I have also seen Laurence Cottle - who is one of the best Jazz bassists in the UK - using one with an iAmp at gigs - really loud and great sound !
  14. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    My Epifani T-112s work for me.
  15. Wayne Jones can handle it!:D
  16. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I just bought a Bag End S 15-D. I originally went looking for 12's and included the S12-D in my audition list. The S12-D was a terrific cabinet but the S15-D is so small and light that it seemed pointless to get the 12 when the 15 provided a bigger sound in such small package. As for the tweeter I found, in both cases, that they were pretty useless to me. I'm a fingerstyle guy and the D models have lots of top end. Slappers would want the tweeter though.
  17. Aguilar, man. Definitely Aguilar. A pair of GS-112s and an Eden WT-300/400 or a Walter Woods head would be an amazing portable setup--you could carry your entire rig in one trip.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've been using an Epifani T212 with EA iAmp600 lately and it's a great, reasonably portable rig. Very clean and plenty loud as long as you're not outdoors or in a huge room.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I almost bought a VL-108... amazing sound from a cab about the size of a lunchbox. Even handled a B string well. A rig consisting of maybe four of those would be hilariously small. You could hire child roadies;)
  20. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Clarification: I mentioned the Accugroove Mini Whappo (aka the 210 killer) because its' 10", 8", and 6" speakers have the same total surface area as two 10s. And its 61 lbs. is (barely) in the portable category.