Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Huge Thank You to the Talkbass Effects Forum!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Many Thanks:

Over many months I have read thread upon thread of... what effect is best for sound x, is y better than z, how should I power them, what should I use to connect them and in what order etc...

I have found Talkbass an extremely useful resource and as good as the website designer/host may be, the driving force behind the whole site is anyone reading this! Combining thousands of user contributions and a little bit of stompfrog magic I have now completed my pedal board.

A huge thank you to all the TB members for making this happen :)

The Board:

A mahogany veneered plywood (12mm) flightcase measuring 600x400x200 (mm). The all metal hardware (butterfly catches, lift off hinges, fold out handle, control panel, corners and edges) has a black finish and all the cabling is George L's (0.155) with right angled solderless end plugs. Power supples for the pedals are a 4-way adapter and a power bank. No batteries needed!! All cabling and power supplies are hidden beneath the banked stage (also 12mm mahogany veneered ply). The box is finished inside and out with one coat of teak oil and three coats of satin polyurethane varnish.

All pedals are secured to the board using self adhesive velcro (hook + loop) and are included/excluded into the signal chain using a custom built 2 loooper with additional tuner mute and BLUE LEDS (Cheers Mr Boggs). The lift-off lid is foam lined to ensure that the pedals stay in place during transit.

The master input and output jacks for the whole board are hard wired into a panel on the right hand end of the board along with a hard wired kettle lead socket for powering the whole board from a single kettle lead. Last but not least there are four rubber feet to stop the pedal board from sliding about the stage.

The board has been used at two gigs so far and is working like a dream.

Enjoy................... ;)

The Case:

[​IMG]

Hard Wired Audio and Power Connections:

[​IMG]

The Pedals:

[​IMG]

The Pedals again:

[​IMG]

The Loooper:

[​IMG]

Behind the Scenes (i):

[​IMG]

Behind the Scenes (ii):

[​IMG]

Internal View of the Power and Audio Connections:

[​IMG]

2. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    Dang! thats really sweet. Nice job on the pedal board!!
    I just got finished routing all of my cables under my board also.
    Congrats!

3. very nice pedalboard!

Just one question though, is that mammoth hard to get to with the muff in front of it? or you you just switch to it via loooper?

4. It is a bit hard to get to but If I put the muff at the back (higher up the banked stage) there isn't enough room to close the lid, therefore it had to go at the front. :)

However... as you suspected it is dropped into the fx chain using the loooper so there is never a situation whereby timing is crucial when pressing the mammoth. For example, I would have the whole preceeding verse to switch it on (while the loop is disengaged) before finally dropping it into the fx chain with the easily accessible loooper on bar one of the chorus.

Hope that makes sense.

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    wow, that is incredible..........:eek: Very classy!

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That is a very neat job. I love the clean look. Most of my pedal board attemps are just planks of wood with velcro to hold the effects.:D
    I might try to get something like that going on.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice, that's a beatifil board and a setup I would be proud to stomp on. Cheers to yourself for building a beauty, and the best of luck with it.

Anyway, from experience I can say that this is probably THE best place to learn ANYTHING about effects.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Cool board, good job!

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Holy crap! That's the classiest pedalboard i've ever seen!

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    That is REALLY cool. Big thumbs up.

11. Thanks for all the kind words guys. Petary would you be up for "geeking" it for me?

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Sure, hit me up with a PM.

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Who- absolutely beatiful.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1. Excellent work!

15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Hey that thing is great. I'm also building one like it with hard wired power, cord to amp, cord from amp to tuner and cord from amp to amp control. Mine won't have a top cover like yours; I'm going to put it in a piece of luggage with wheels that we don't use. Mine will be covered with black cloth, have an external electrical outlet for a gig fan and the back face will have a 4" cooling fan for the power converter under the hinged top.

The only draw back is that I've been working on it for 6 weeks and I'm only half way done. Work, family, band, civic duties all get in the way. I should post some progress pics.

16. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Nice!

Care to explain why the Mammoth and Muff? Aren't they prety similar?

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bitchen. The onliest thing I would have done differently is cover the whole bottom with BFS (black fuzzy stuff). Then I'd just put hook velcro on the bottoms of the effects. Still bitchen, though.

18. Yeah they are similar but the mammoth is too much for most of our songs, it is not a subtle effect. It does however sound awesome with the whammy so it had to go on the board.

Did think about that but ran out of £££ ($$$ :) ) and got impatient waiting for it to be finished. Perhaps next weekend I will get some BFS. How would I attach that to the stage tho? Surely if you glue it, it will soak through and it wont be so fluffy any more? And if you don't glue it then it will be all saggy?

19. davefrommound

davefrommound

Jul 21, 2005
    Wow that is impressive!

I also agree -- I've posted several ?s here and the responses have all been dead-on helpful.

20. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Looks good. The George L. rt-angle cables turned down through the top of the board are a nice touch.