1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hugh Masekala?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Tbeers, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Went to a master class with this guy two days ago, and WOW! He had all of us singing South African songs, then he would solo on flugel over it. Also he had a rhythm section play with him at the same time. It was incredible!

I just can't get enough of this African music, especially the way Masekela does it with American jazz elements!

Can anyone recommend some other great records with this type of happy music on it? It feels so good to listen to and to sing.

Thanks

edit: darn, misspelled his name in the thread title. excuse me

2. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...002-7992363-2414429?n=507846&s=music&v=glance

Dave Grusin did his African-inspired "Migration" CD a few years back. The album, as a whole, might not fulfill what you seek, but without a doubt, the two best pieces on that album are collaborations with Hugh Masekela. Grusin has a very 'tinseltown' sound, but he's a genius in his way. Collaborating with Masekela and countless others is part of it.

Track 5 (Dancing in the Township) offers African rhythm with an unusual keyboard background. Hugh soars in lead flugelhorn, and ends up in a frantic but moving dialog with Branford Marsalis on sax for much of the piece. Very stirring/motivating. I have a hard time sitting still typing about it.

Track 9 (Polina) is simply a modern flugelhorn ballad with Grusin on keyboards. Beautiful. I've listened to this CD countless times (as a former horn player), and Masekela is the reason why. His tracks are the best on this entire CD.

I love Grusin's somewhat dated "Mountain Dance" song. You probably would also. But again, Grusin's very "tinseltown" in flavor. Sometimes doesn't fit in with "smooth jazz" category. Grusin does sound tracks for countless films (e.g. "The Firm"). Regards.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I found "Dancing in the Township" on iTunes. This is cool stuff, man... thanks!

More, more, more, more!

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    There was a whole group of south african musicians who movedto London in the 60s and made great records combining african rhythms and sounds with jazz and free-ish playing - Check out any Brotherhood of Breath record to hear most of them, or my personal favourite, Johnny Dyani (great bassist) did a record called 'Song for Biko' with Dudu Pukwana (alto), Don Cherry and Makaya Ntshoko (drums). Its a wonderful record, combining african and mingus/ornette type fees, I think Steeplechase have reissued it on CD.
    But anything by ay of that group would be worth checking out - Chris MacGregor, Dudu Pukwana, Louis Moholo, Mongezi Feza.
    Also, do you know Abdulah Ibrahim (dollar brand)?

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I should listen to Dollar Brand... good suggestion.

So far the best Masekela I have found is the song "Khawuleza" from his CD "Black to the Future." Very happy stuff....

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Everyone should!