1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hughes and Kettner Fortress Bass Preamp - Excellent Condition RARE!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by bassbuddha, Mar 3, 2013.

1. bassbuddha

bassbuddha Gold Supporting Member

PLEASE NOTE:

Talkbass Community~

I hope everyone is well this holiday season. I’m bumping this and a number of listings after being away from TB for almost a year. If anyone had reached out to me regarding any of the gear I have for sale and I wasn’t able to respond, I sincerely apologize. It’s been a tough year of some very trying personal and professional hardships, and in order to best take care of myself, I simply needed some time away. On a brighter note, things have stabilized, and are generally on the up and up. If you have any questions about anything I have listed, please let me know. I should be able to respond to inquiries quickly and I can usually ship within the next business day. Given the circumstances, I’m also happy to provide references if interested buyers would like them. I would likely expect nothing less if the situation were reversed.

Again, my apologies for any lapses in communication and any inconvenience it might have caused.

Happy holidays!!!

ORIGINAL POST:
    Hughes and Kettner Fortress Bass Preamp in excellent condition with only minor rack rash on the top of the unit. This was my workhorse for many, many years of gigging and has never failed me. It is with some reluctance that I think about letting her go, but she has been in storage for the last 5 years and I simply have too many amps and need to thin the herd.

As mentioned, the amp is in excellent cosmetic condition and functions perfectly, although the 12ax7 tube is currently bad and you cannot employ the function. I never used it, so it didn't matter to me. The pre works perfectly in solid state mode. In the little information online, many describe this as a very vintage sounding pre, similar in many respects to the Alembic F1X, but with more flexibility. I always felt it had a very hi fi, "Marcus Miller", quality to it with full lows and a very pretty glassy top end. I had paired it with a Crown Micro Tech and it was the tone to die for. I do not have the footswitch, nor saw any real need for it.

Exact specs are kind of tough as the only manuals that I knew of were in German, but here is what I know about it.

2 inputs that can be used simultaneously.
    Gain control
    6 bands of EQ (not exactly sure where they are notched as they have descriptive labels on each of them, i.e. "Contra", "Bass", "Voice", "Mid", "Bite" and "Edge")
    Bass and treble boost switches
    Separate switched tube channel with gain and volume control
    Direct switch to bypass EQ section
    Switchable compressor with attack and intensity control
    Master volume

Price is $325 shipped and insured, via Fed Ex, to anywhere in the continental US. Shipping to AK, HI, or Canada is a possibility, but please contact me for rates. Sorry, no other foreign transactions. Paypal accepted. I am considering a few trades below and would be willing to do gear + cash either way, but please, nothing else if it's not included on this list. I have more gear than I know what to do with and absolutely have to clear some stuff out.

ONLY TRADE CONSIDERATIONS!!!!:

Nash Basses

Fodera Basses

Fender Custom Shop Pino P Bass or Jaco Tribute Jazz Bass

Hofner Basses – German only!!!

Ampeg V4B

Ampeg SVT Heritage

Glockenklang Blue Sky

EV RE20

Sennheiser MD421

Distressor Compressor

Purple Audio MC77

API 550b

Millennia Media HV-35

IMG_3411_zps88b78f29.

IMG_3413_zpsda16a14a.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. bassbuddha

Forgot to mention that I am the original owner, buying it new in 1996 (?) or something like that. Still works like a champ. I'm going to pop a new 12ax7 i it so she is fully functional. PM me with any questions and bump!!!

3. bassbuddha

Neal Fountain employing the Fortress with Alex Machacek

4. bassbuddha

Pre surgery bump. Reasonable offerers considered, but please keep trades to the items listed. Thanks!!

5. bassbuddha

Sleeping off my pain meds bump. Some serious interest, but the pre is currently still available. I've secured some assistance here at home and can ship fairly quickly for a committed buyer. PM if interested.

6. bassbuddha

Gratitude for health bump and a few more possible trade considerations.

Lull Thunderbird
    Strymon Mobius
    MXR Bass Overdrive
    MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
    Boss OC-2
    MXR Bass Envelope Filter
    MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe

Reasonable cash offers also considered.

7. bassbuddha

Bump!

8. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Pm'd

9. bassbuddha

TTT

10. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    Pm'd

11. bassbuddha

Bump!

12. fruitlabor

Apr 6, 2007
    So will it function with a new tube.? :confused:

13. bassbuddha

I need to check. I've been swamped with work here lately and I'll try and get one in by the weekend, check it out, and post results here.

14. bassbuddha

Back from the dead bump. Still available.

15. Mars65

Mars65

Dec 11, 2015
    Dear bassbuddha,

I recently saw your add and wonder if the hughes & kettner fortress bass preamp is still available. Can you let me know? Thanks!

Best regards,
    Marcel, Netherlands

16. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    Pm'd

17. TIMOTHY LOFTN

TIMOTHY LOFTN

Oct 24, 2016
    HELLO.. I KNOW THIS AD IS OLD , BUT DO YOU STILL HAVE THE H & K FORTRESS FOR SALE ? IF SO ; HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR IT ? I'LL FIX IT ....... I HAD 2 OF THEM. PLEASE WRITE ME BACK AT t.loftin@securenet.net......or do u no somebody that wants to sell 1 ? thanks ... timothy loftin

18. bass wood

bass wood

Aug 30, 2018
    Budapest
    Hello Timothy,
    I have one, if still interested. In Hungary.
    Kind regards,
    Balázs