Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hughes and Kettner preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dontbesobassist, Mar 4, 2006.

1. just been checking out the new Hughes and Kettner Tubeman. Looks awesome. But I don't know how preamps work?! Do they deal with frequencies? IF so then I assume they can't be used with bass?! any tips or experience u can share would be awesome. cheers

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi, we may need to clear up some of your terms in order to answer your questions. Anything to do with audio "deals with frequencies", that's part of the definition of something audible. Even if you meant "deals with high frequencies", even bass gear deals with high frequencies.

A good question would be "does this preamp lose any low end?" As far as how preamps work, they primarily boost the amplitude of your signal, to go from very weak/low level coming out of your bass, to prep it for the high-gain stages of a power amp. Most stompbox-based preamps are also suitable for plugging into the input jack on a combo amp.

3. right ok, well tbh that doesnt mean alot to me. ok new question: is this preamp suitable for a bass? would my bass break it? and if not... would I lose alot of my low end?
    cheers

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK, I'll try to break it down farther. Sound (any kind of sound) and the signal from your bass (which is an electrical "version" of sound) has two main aspects that define it: frequency and amplitude. Frequency = pitch, mainly the note you're playing. Amplitude = volume, how loud it is.
    Your bass puts out a wide range of frequencies, meaning low notes, medium notes, and high notes. But it all comes out at very low electrical "volume".

Amplifiers work in "stages": they take a little weak signal, and boost it a little bit, and then boost it again, and keep boosting it until it's the wattage you see listed on the amp. A preamp is the very first boost stage. If your bass has a battery compartment, the bass has a preamp built in. If you have a combo amp or an amp head that you plug your bass straight into, that amp has a preamp built in.

Whether you need/want another preamp is something you just have to experiment with and find out for yourself.

Yes the H&K can be used with bass; no you won't break it; I don't know if it loses any low end (meaning the lowest pitches), so your best bet is to try one in a shop and see if you like the sound.