1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hughes and Kettner red box MK2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alan_hill, May 10, 2010.

1. alan_hill

alan_hill

Nov 1, 2008
    I remembered buying one of these off ebay a few years ago and never got round to using it.

I've just dug it out of the gear cupboard, instructions seem to be in german and whilst I can see how it works I don't want to plug my cab into it and cause it damage by doing it incorrectly.

so i guess my question is ''How do you use this?''

I've looked for instruction on the web and they don't seem forthcoming.

i am looking at using it at live show instead of a bass DI and maybe for home studio work if it can be used without he cab.

FYI I have an magnavox era SVT.

Thanks in advance

Alan :bassist:

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The Red Box is a currently available product. It is designed as a guitar DI, not bass, but it may sound OK for you.

You run your speaker cable through the 1/4" connectors. Take the XLR to the PA.

It has a switch to choose between 4x12 and 2x12 voicing, both of which are designed for guitar.

3. alan_hill

alan_hill

Nov 1, 2008
    Thank you. Anybody else on here use it for bass?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i tried it a couple times, but it cuts all the low end so i had to stop. works great on guitar, but not so good on bass. a countryman type 85 or radial jdi is a much better choice for speaker di'ing a bass.

5. alan_hill

alan_hill

Nov 1, 2008
    any reason why not to use the Radial JDX? Seems to be more suited for the job. unless of course I missed something. :meh:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    haven't used the radial but they advertise it as a guitar box, so i have a feeling it'll be the same deal as the red box. can't say for sure, but i wouldn't take a chance on it working for bass when there's sure-fire choices for bass. i learned my lesson from trying to cheap out with the red box.

7. alan_hill

alan_hill

Nov 1, 2008
    OK Jimmy thanks. so we're sure that the Radial JDI can handle being between an amp and a speaker. Just checking before I buy :)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    yep.

http://www.radialeng.com/JDImk3-eng.pdf

under "the ins and outs." the jdv will also do it if you want active.

i got a countryman, but i think if i had to do it over again, i'd get a jdi or jdv. but now i'm just going to use the vt deluxe or modded british character pedal.

9. alan_hill

alan_hill

Nov 1, 2008
    Thanks for your help Jimmy.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    hey alan, i left out something important....a speaker di won't take the place of a speaker load. you'll need a dummy load for that. but the dummy load will more than likely tap out if you plan on using your svt at high levels to get distortion. i don't think you can get a 4 ohm dummy load that'll take 300w or more.

11. report back on what you think of it. i was thinking of a similar solution, but i'm afraid the low end loss will be too great. search google for "hughes and kettner red box frequency response" and there is a cool chart someone made. it looks like the behringer gi100 has less low end loss. i tried my speaker di, and it's just too damn bright so for now using a sansamp direct in to pa. i really want more of a mic'd speaker tone to warm up those highs when going direct.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    so mic a speaker or stick with the sansamp. the svt will have sort of a natural highs rolloff speaker di'd, but it's still going to have those excess highs past 5k. they're easily cut from the board, but not all soundmen will do it, so you can either mic (what i do with my rig) or use a sansamp (what i do when i don't have my rig).

13. jimmy, micing would be preferred, but i'm having trouble with getting sound guys on board with that. we're not at a level where we are headlining shows so i'm not making a big deal out of it(10 minute set changes at crappy clubs with no sound checks and all that). i'm looking for a plug and play solution that will give me more of a mic'd speaker tone while still going direct. the sansamp is OK and i can live with it, but it lacks the warmth i get from my mesa d-180 through the speaker cab.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    you're a perfect candidate for a speaker di then. bass - sansamp - amp - di - cab. it's a great sound. studio quality. with an svt it sounds a lot like a reddi but should sound equally amazing with a d-180. played one with a big 215 cab for about a year and loved it.

15. alan_hill

alan_hill

Nov 1, 2008
    Jimmy I realise I'd need a dummy speaker in line if not using A cab, but thanks for WARNING :p

If you know of an attenuator you can use in line with an SVT than please let me know as that would be really useful. I don't really want to make the amp scream just turn it more than the third notch and get some great tones at a manageable volume.
    :bassist:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    no attenuators that handle 300w exist.

17. alan_hill

alan_hill

Nov 1, 2008
    Thought not, booooooooooo!:bawl:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    that's why b-15's exist ;)

19. alan_hill

alan_hill

Nov 1, 2008
    I know but trying to get hold of one in the UK is sooooo difficult at the moment.