1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hughes and Kettner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zackattack, Apr 8, 2006.

1. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    Hi,
    I was browsing my local guitar store yesterday when I found a Hughes and Kettner BC 410 H priced at £199, which upon checking, according to the store manager was accurate! I tested it out and it seemed rather nice, albeit slightly lacking in clarity but I'm sure taking the sub 20hz (or 50 if I'm feeling ambitious) would take care of that. I did do some research, but most of the info seemed to be in German :/

Does anyone here know much about these cabs? And if so, would you advise/warn?

Ps, you may've noticed its my first post here, so, Hi I'm Zack, pleased to meet everyone. *shakes hands*

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hey Zach nice to see you start your TB journey.

Unfortunately I have no advice for you on the cab since I've never come in contact with one.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    /shakes hand

Nice to meet you.

H&K products have never been incredibly popular but also IMHO woefully underrated.

If you like it, buy it. Trust me, there are much worse pieces of gear out there.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Just make sure that you have your needs covered.

:D

Joe.

4. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    hi applerocks,
    i played one for a gig once and my friend owned one...and he was glad that he sold it a few weeks ago. very midrangy tone, i didn´t like it and neither did he. there´s certainly worse equipment out there, but there´s certainly better, too. i´d go for a little better.

cheers,
    lowstar

5. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    I was in the market for an ampeg 2*10, which I'd eventually add a 1*15 too.

They do retail on the net for around £600, so I didn't think they'd be that bad. I guess its just a case of lugging all my other gear down there and see if it goes well.

I want quite a Hi-Fi sounding amp, something with a Marcus Miller sound, any suggestions?

Cheers for all the help!

6. I use it for almost a decade and can say this:

sound: it is hard to get that harsh tone out of it, but everything else - not a problem. I use it with H&K BB600 and never need a lot of adjusting.
    weight: It's the heaviest 410 I've ever tested. Two people need a lot of strengh to carry this through the stairs. Only once I tried to load it in the car alone. Never again. I've installed casters, helped a bit, but stairs are still a problem.
    I got a very good deal on a lightweight Eden Nemesis 410 cabinet. Nemesis remindes me of Hartke. Compared to BC410, it takes a bit more time to get the sound out of it, but it's just me. I don't like treble :)

Are you sure it's a BC410H? A new one costs around 900 EUR, BR 410H new is around 350 EUR.

Jure