Hughes and Kettner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 23, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have been seeing these amps alot latley in the local music stores, and I was wondering what your thoughts on there are. Are they just another brand there to take up room in the shop or are they something useful? They are made in Germany, and a 100 watt amp costs $999 (AUS). Hughes and

If that URL dont worry dont worry about it.

Cheers :D
  2. Last autumn when I was out searching for a combo I almost settled for a Bass Force XXL because I liked the ease of seting up a good sound (thanks to the EQ-matrix) and the overall good sound, but I finally stumbled over a used EBS Gorm instead and the search was over...

I haven't tried their bass heads but their guitar tube amps sound really great.
  3. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have the Hughes & Kettner BassBase 400, BC410, and used to have the BassForce XL. They are good sounding amps....obviously I bought H&K again! The BassForce series have a great warm tone. It's not quite Tube amp warmth but it is still great. Try contacting They have been having an on and off sale for the BassForce XXL for $499. That's less than what I paid for my XL. If you can't find the XXL on the website then call them and they will probably have it. I had to do this when I was shopping and I could not find it in the website but they had them when I called. I changed my mind and went for the BassBase 400 and traded in my XL for the BC410 cab. I am not sure about their overseas sales and shipping policies though. They are in the US.

With the BassBase 400, it has a really clean tone. If you push the preamp tube then it can get somewhat distorted (in a good way) and overdrives the preamp to give you that subtle fuzz effect. I have found that it is a very thin line between overdriving the preamp and clipping the preamp. The tone is not as warm as the BassForce series but it is more versatile. EVERY harmonic overtone is reproduced perfectly and the notch filter and Varimetric EQ are great for attenuating the overtones if the music style does not call for it...but that is subjective. My only complaint is that with most amps that I have liked, the Low Bass EQ frequency was set at 40Hz. The BassBase has it set at around 50Hz. I would have liked it to be set a bit lower. However, once I am at church where I play, I find myself attenuating the Bass since the room tends to boom. I only notice the bass EQ when I am alone practicing in a small room. Overall, a great amp.