hughes&kettner 300w 1x15 Inch Combo with Horn

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    looking around and I stumbled upon this. (click on the link below to see) Looks like a good deal. Portable, plenty of power at 8 ohms. looks nice too. I need oppinions if I should start savin' the dough, or keep browsing. Pretty much i want to know wether its crap or a good deal

(not sure if it came out, if not, copy and paste it)
  2. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have had the XL 200watt version for about a year. I am very happy with it. Rumor is that it has been "voiced" to mimic a tube amp and Imust admit that it is RELATIVELY warm for a solid state. With the 200 watt XL, I was reluctant to connect another cab to it for fear that my power would drop too much. I played a XXL with an SWR 2x10 Goliath III jr. in the store and it sounds real good. The 10's and the 15 fill in the tonal voids where each speaker size is limited. This helps out alot since the XL is somewhat lacking a little in the upper mids and highs. Not much though. I have only had one problem with mine when on a gig a col solder joint on my input jack caused an intermittent signal but I was able to continue the gig by using my Tech 21 Bass Driver DI as a preamp and going straight into the XL power amp section by plugging into the EFFECTS IN jack. Neat little trick! After I got home I was able to easily redo the joint and have not had any problems since. When I opened up the amp, I was quite surprised about how well the internal circuits are laid out and the overall constuction. I think that the Hughes & Kettner combos are a terrific value and sound great for a combo. I still like my Hughes & Kettner BassBase 400 head and SWR cabs for bigger stuff but the combos are really great...yes, I will buy more of their stuff. The only drawback is that they don't provide much wear & tear protection on the outside as many combos have corner protectors and carpet, the H&K only have painted wood and Corner Protectors. Overall, I would definetly jump on the sale price as you are unlikely to find that price again for a NEW amp with warranty. Good amp, sounds good, good design, hard to go wrong.