Hughes & Kettner - any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Achilles LS, Dec 7, 2002.

1. I'm planning to get a BassForce XXL in the future mainly because of it's output power, but is is any good?
  2. I don't like their combos, but their cabs and heads sound great. I don't care for the way the controls are laid out on their heads at all, but this is just a matter of personal preference. All in all they're top quality gear and have a very solid sound.
  3. lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    hughes & kettner always kinda seemed like just another jump-on-the-built-in-digital-effects-bandwagon type...and their guitar "half stacks" that pitched to a mindset rather than a certain style...but the item you are talking about seemed good to me. perhaps they're changing their ways.
  4. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have a H&K BassBase 600 and think its a great high powered bass head. It sounds great when settings are flat and there isn't a tone that it can't get. I've heard good things about their combos as well.
  5. I also have a BassBase 600 and a BC410. I haven't tried the combos, though, but I am very pleased with the sound. It's a bit tubey, but I like it - don't expect the "Gallien Krueger pick" attack, but it's still very versatile. Powerfull controls and reliable operating. Very good customer service(fast and friendly).

Hope this helps.

6. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I've owned one from the red series (older than the new black series and less powerful-300W@4Ohm). H&K makes reliable stuff. As for the sound this thing is loud and it works best when you saturate the preamp then the sound gets nice growl. Sound matrix that is built in the amp I didn't use at all - it's nice thing to play with but you can live without it.
    The things I didn't like were:
    -tweeter has on/off switch only, when you turn it on and treble is boosted it gets a bit hissy - but this is noticable only when it's total silence around you
    - the controls are wide open and unprotected so you got to be careful when you move the amp

IMHO H&K BassForce XXL is a nice combo and powerful enough for most situations. And the litlle flaws are easy to live with.
  7. Bassmanhk

Sep 17, 2009
    I have the H&K BassForce XXL purchased in 2003. Anyone know what it's worth today?
  8. before going with MarkBass, Hadrien Feraud played H&K amps
  9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Why do you ask?
  10. the older H&K BC series cabs look amazing. always thought so.

this isn't my cabinet, i found it online.