Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hughes & Kettner BassBase 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, May 3, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anyone have any experience with this amp? I have an opportunity to get a used one but I'm not sure of the value or it's track record.

TIA

2. I have a BassBase 250. Sounds pretty good but haven't used it much.

3. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have the BassBass 400. I think it is almost identical in sound but the 600 has more power and adds another Varimetric EQ.

Overall, it is a great amp. Has plenty of volume and brings out every nuance from your bass. I think that this amp is designed to have a more transparent sound where others are designed to add their own character. It really brings out every harmonic overtone. I play thru a G&L Asat bass and I love the tone of my bass. This amp does just what it is suppose to: Amplify my bass's great tone without any coloration. I have one complaint, I would have liked the low Bass EQ to be centered at 40Hz rather than 50Hz. I just happen to like a fat bottom end...but only when it comes to bass;) In no way does this imply that the H&K lacks bottom end. I just found that in other amps I have owned and the ones I have tried that I liked, they all had the low Bass EQ centered at 40Hz. No big deal though. I love this amp!

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks for the replies. I can't seem to find many folks who've been near one of these.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ive tried a 400 in a shop and was impressed.

Brad I THINK that Matthias has a 600 you might want to PM him or something

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Hi Brad,
    I have a BB400 and I'm very happy.
    As Lovin Bass said it's more or less the same as the BB600, it just has less power and less features.

IMHO it puts out gobs of bass - it's the first amp where I leave the bass knob flat or near flat.
    Together with my Glockenklang 212 it sounds so smooth and neutral that I have to dial in some mids to cut through in a rock band though.
    I also like the tube preamp (1 12AX7) very much because it gives a nice growl when you overdrive it a little.
    The varimetric EQ (an advanced semi-parametric EQ) does not change the sound as drastically as Eden's EQs but it's working in a very musical way.
    The notch filter seems to be a useful feature, but it is a little bit hard to use when you don't have the ears of a sound engineer, but so far I didn't need it anyway.
    Regarding reliability I can't say too much because I don't use it too often (unfortunately my bands don't play regularly)

BTW some people criticize that it sounds mushy. I don't see it this way, but it's true that my GK-MB150 seems to have more 'attack' (also when you compare the amps through headphones).

Matthias

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks Matthias and Chris. I brought it home about an hour ago. Hooked it up to a pair of Euphonic Audio VL-110 cabs and so far checked it out with several of my basses. One word immediately comes to mind:

DAMN!!:D

This thing has power to spare. While I was happy with my AMP amp pushing these, the BB600 just effortlessly gives me more volume and headroom than I'll probably ever need. As flexible as the front end is, it seems to be very easy to dial in lots of cool sounds ( I agree, the Varimetric is very musical).

It sounds great flat (my main concern), the Bass and Treble controls are well placed, the two switchable Varimetric EQs quickly allow three unique vibes from one bass. 625 watts makes these EA cabs sound even more amazing than they did before with 420w. I think I'm done (right after I get the footswitch;)).

Thanks for the info.

[​IMG]

8. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Glad to hear you like it.

That was my reaction when I first played it at the store ----> :D

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    What store did you see it in?

10. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Alta Loma Music - Rancho Cucamonga, Southern California.

They are a small "Mom & Pop" store. Usually the smaller stores will carry brands that the larger chain stores don't, or don't keep in stock for you to try. That is how they stay competitive. That is where I first heard about Hughes & Kettner.

I had a H&K BassForce XL combo that I traded in for a H&K BC410 cab. That is another thing I love about smaller stores. They treat you better over the long haul. This particular store has a Trade-In policy where most anything you buy can be traded in for the full amount you paid and have credited towards a new purchase as long as it is within a year and you spend twice the amount that you are trading in. I bought a G&L Bass and the BC410 within a month of each other and they worked with me to use both of those purchases as "twice" the amount of the trade in.

I may be able to save a few bucks at the larger chain store but I still like to give my business to the little guy. They treat me much better than Guitar Center ever has!

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Welcome to the club :)
    I'm glad you like it - I tried not to talk you into something you might regret.

BTW I forgot one VERY important point: this thing looks way cool :D
    and the big BB600 looks even cooler than my 'whimpy' BB400...

Matthias

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I prefer Mom and Pops myself.

Matthias, I wouldn't have minded you talking H&K up, that's what I was looking for, experienced users.
    No one carries them here AFAIK and this was my first exposure to the brand. Excellent pro gear.

Between this amp and the F Bass I can hardly wait for my next gig on Saturday.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    If it sounds as good as it looks it's got to be killer. That's one sweet looking head! ;) What's the List Price of that amp?

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I think around $1900. I saw them for sale on a website new for $1259. If I had known I would have found a way to get one years ago. Never saw them in a store or live before.

A buddy who gigs fulltime came over yesterday and put most of my basses through their paces through this rig (H&K and 2 EA VL110's). He was as blown away by the sound as I was though I'm not sure it was the amp so much as the fact that you could crank the EA's up like that and they handled everything effortlessly. It's almost unnerving the first time you hear that much sound, especially the huge openness of the B string while looking at these miniscule cabs.

Every note ran out true on every bass, every bass had it's own distinct sound. The Elrick fretless has a 3 dimensional feel to it, more uprightish than anything I've heard recently. Every little percussive move on the F Bass was distinct yet the bass sounded buttery fingerstyle. Chords on the MTD 635 were sweet and the FMT punched like crazy.

I've tried other high powered amps before, this is the first one that wasn't just loud... it's musical.

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Hughes and Kettner are top notch amps, i have tried the BB600 and loved it to death! they have great products i have and use a lot a Tubeman plus as preamp for bass. really useful and TONE!!

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Well, I now have one more thing to add to my ever growing wish list! :D Thanks for the info Brad.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Just got back from the gig with new amp (and bass), this should be a brief review:

Perfect.

Could not have been better. The amp handled any volume I needed, sounded great regardless of what style I played and garnered compliments from everyone in the band.Very different from my previous amp. A note about EA VL110's efficiency: I stand corrected. They truly did need more than the 400+ watts I was driving them with. The difference in headroom, volume and just overall tone is amazing with the BB 600.

It was as cool to the touch throughout the gig as it was when I took it out of the car. Trust me, I gave it every reason to warm up;). Plugged it in, ran the bass through one of the two EQ settings I had already set up (very minor tweaks) and it was off to the races. The prodigious lows it produced at all volumes had my drummer grinning all night. I didn't run it through the PA, just let it fill the room (about 150 person size room). Not band for a 100 lb. rig that stands about 3 feet tall.

This was also my first gig with the F Bass Studio 5... it too was perfect. From serious thump on the upper strings for fingerstyle to uprightish on ballads to killer slap sound... otherworldly lows... from a whisper to the max volume it just sounded excellent.

I only wish I had both of these much sooner. I can't recommend both more highly.

18. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    great to hear Brad.

you know the drill...

post some clips!

;)

fred

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Guess it's time to get a decent soundcard. Any recommendations?

Then again, how do I post amp clips?;)

20. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    soundcard recommendations?

wow...the market is glutted these days.

midiman has some solid stuff. for now, i'm just using my embedded sound chipset that came with my motherboard.

for amp clips...you could take the direct out...or even better, mic your cab into your recording mixer/soundcard.

i've always DROOOOOOOLED over the HK amps.

i'm dying to hear them.

the most beautiful front panel of any amp out there!!!!!

f