1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hughes & Kettner BassKick BK 300... any experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wateroftyne, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Hi all

I'm thinking of getting one of these...

[​IMG]

...for rehearsals, small gigs, mucking about at home, and something I can draft into use if my big rig is ever out of action.

Has anyone used one? Are they fairly hefty in a good-quality kind-of way? Could they cope with a pub/bar gig at a push?

Thanks!

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    300w head driving a 1x15 + tweeter should be able to handle what you call a pub gig unless the band is stupid loud. I'm sure the HK will also drive an extension, so you might have to add one if you want more "coverage" as opposed to just volume.

For instance, I use a 300w Mesa Walkabout 12 (1x12 + tweeter) for many small and medium sized gigs, but often bring along an extension (1x12 or 1x15) just to get a bit more air moving. You might want to use another 1x15 cab or a 2x10 as your extension.

Overall though, you should be good with this as a small gig rig or backup.

3. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    I have one and I use it only for rehearsals. This way I don't have to transport my rig all the time. I also use it for an occasional small gig.
    I like this combo very much, I can get a nice raw sound with the tweeter off and a nice clean sound with the tweeter on. It sounds punchy but it lacks a bit of bottom end. It is very well build, goes very loud and cuts nicely into the mix.

4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Lacks bottom? It handles my StingRay5 without batting an eye. These babies are monsters. Kind of big for a combo (watch your knuckles going through doors), but this helps the LF response. The compressor works really well. I use the Linden EQ in the FX loop to dirty it up a bit after the comp.

Get one while you can...

5. I played through an older one about 10 years ago and was very impressed. I don't remember what model it was but it sounded great and was seriously loud. Nice combo for sure.