1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hughes & Kettner Basskick combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Misanthropic, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Hi folks,

I'm about to purchase a new amp, as I've been playing through a 30W Hartke for nearly 3 years now...

I've been looking at this one:

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=100

200 watts
    15" Eminence® speaker
    HF-horn (switchable)
    4-band parallel EQ
    variable compressor
    552 x 604 x 385; 70 lbs

or perhaps the 300W version?

I want this amp to be a practice amp/rehearsal amp and (possibly) a small gig amp (on gigs bigger than this can handle there's most likely a PA, right?).

Opinions? There are no review of Basskicks here or at harmony central, and the threads I found about them were from 2003 (probably an older model). Is there a reason for this?

Pricewise, the only one that compared to this was a Gallien-Krueger, and out of the two, I read more positive things about the H&K. Next step up, there's Hartke, Yorkville and Fender that all are a few 100 euros more expensive...

Mind you, I live far far away in Finland, the land of overpriced gear and limited options.

Thanks.

2. Bump!

What about Hughes & Kettner in general, then? Anything general that applies to all models? Good/bad things, anything!

3. I have a Hughes & Kettner 300 watts bass combo for years now and I still like it for smaller gigs and practice! I think, in general Hughes & Kettner make good reliable amps that are not too expencieve. You definitely get what you deserve for your money.
    As said.. my combo still kicks ass. I have it now since a long time, I have played a lot of gigs with it, I pushed it, overpowered it totally and played loud music through it in these years and it's still ok.

As for the Basskick.. I never tried one. Once played with such a Quantum here..
    http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=46
    which has a nice sound too, is very small and puts out a lot of power. It also hats a tube in it and a knob to control the tube growl which is very nice!!

So... also have a look on these..

bye!

4. Thanks man. I played a Quantum at a store once and it kicked ass. The price is way higher than the Basskick though (the basskick's a budget model).

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I love H&K products. Good, reliable, well built stuff.

I wish there were dealers that carried the H&K bass gear here in the US. If they did though, I would probably be GAS'n for a Quantum 600!

6. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    I have major gas for a quantum, too. I love the parallel-EQ. But the Quantums don't have a tube-preamp. They use a technique called "Dynavalve". It's pretty well described in the manual:
    http://212.227.253.62/files/huke/bassamps/qc421/manual/Quantum_Combos_Manual.pdf

Small, lightweight combos that are LOUD enough are among the best things for bassplayers happening during the last years, apart from Elixir strings...

Dirk

7. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I almost pulled the trigger on a Quantum a couple of weeks ago. I played the 2x12 & really wanted to hear the 15" version. I was REALLY impressed. I ended up reconfiguring my cab arrangement, kept my old amp & bought a new bass.

That HK stuff is really nice gear. Next on my list indeed...

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I used this thing in Moscow at a trade show kinda thing. It was part of the backline for 4 days...

[​IMG]

I thought it was one of the greatest amps I ever played through or heard in my life. And lots of people were using and abusing it those 4 days. All kinds of music also. Not sure what the head was, but the bottom was 8X10s.