Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hughes & Kettner cabs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllodoX, Mar 3, 2002.

1. I'm very interested in the

Hughes & kettner BR-410H ( 4x10 @ 300w ) and the Hughes & Kettner BR-115 ( 1x15 @ 200w ).

any opinions, experiences, whatever you'd like to share ?

2. a couple of years ago I was teaching in a store that dealt in Hughes and Kettner gear. when they put on a convention, I was asked to demo some bass gear and give some lessons. the amp and cabinet were Hughes & Kettner, a tube head and a 4x10 cabinet. I had never played through them before (all I knew was that Bootsy and Larry Graham used them) and was AMAZED! the signal from all the basses I plugged in (ESP, Yamaha TRB6-P, fretted walnut Peavey Cirrus 5...) were clean, the amp was powerful, the sound was warm and covered the spectrum very evenly. even at incredible volume, performance was impressive. the only drawbacks I saw in the equipment was the price and the weight. I'm not particularly large and it took two people to move the cabinet over any distance more than 15M. sonically, it was nice stuff, though...

I hope that was some help,

from the low end,

Stew

3. I like their Guitar Amps, especially the tube ones, I think they are more expensive in the U.S because I believe that they are German made?

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    no experience with their cabs but i have played thru their bass heads, guitar amps and preamps and their products are really high quality ones. i love their tubeman preamp and thier modelling amp zentera kills the other similar products, even if it's really expensive

5. Well i'm very interested in them, for 2 reasons

1) they're fair-priced ( 1x15 = $ 445,- ; 4x10 = $ 553,- )

2) the H&K 1x15 combo my teacher has sounds ****ing great, so the brand has got good stuff..

good stuff + fair price = :D

6. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    I got a hughes and kettner baseforce xl and br410 cab as my rig. I tell you the thing kicks some major ass, within the local scene here in IL chicago subs ive got pretty much the best rig around plenty loud enough and I can really move some air with it. The cab alone is great (i can run it without the combo speaker) and I would highly suggest looking into their stuff I'm really happy with it, (acctually my whole band uses their stuff my guitarist have vortex half stacks and ive got mine)

7. I used to have a 250 watt head, and although it was'nt very loud, the tone was great, like GK with a bit more warmth.

8. I'm not crazy about their bass amps, but that 4x10 cab is very very nice.

9. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    I've been using both of those cabs for about 11 years now, always sounds awesome - great quality (not one defective speaker in all those years) & I've been using them with Hartke, G.K. & Phil Jones heads. Maybe the grills need a repaint for next tour... ;-)