1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hughes & Kettner Quantum series/Aguilar AG500 2x12 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loendmaestro, Apr 13, 2006.

1. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm not satisfied with my tone (who is, right?) I'm looking for something on the sane side of "high end". I was at the Atlanta Bass Gallery today & Jim let me play through a bunch of things. He suggested the Hughes & Kettner Quantum series. He has a 2x10 combo in stock & it sounded really good. But I'm clicky Ricky pick player & I think the 2x10s may be too harsh. I think they also have a 12" & 15" version available too. I also played through an Aguilar AG500 2x12 combo & that was pretty sweet as well. I don't necessarily need the 2 channels of that amp, but it was nice. I'm hanging on to my 15" upbringing, but obviously the trend is to 10's & 12's. 2x12s may do it for me, but I don't think one will.
    I'm gonna take my basses in there next week & check 'em out.

If anybody has experience with either of these amps & would be willing to help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I tried that exact Hughes and Kettner Quantum 2x10 combo earlier this week at Jim's recommendation. I was also very impressed. It didn't have the vast tonal variety you get with many modern bass amps, but it sounded REALLY good. Very quiet, nice and solid. I was surprised at the amount of low-end I could pump out of 2 10" speakers.
    Their guitar stuff has a really good rep. I would imagine it's a pretty reliable unit.

I actually ended up going with a smaller Eden combo, as I realized that the 2x10s are just too damn big to cart around. But in 2x10s, I was very torn between the Metro and that Quantum.

The Aggie's just too expensive for me. They're beautiful but outta my league.

3. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm wanting to stay in the under $1500 range. Jim said the Aggie fell in that category...

I was also really interested in that Eden CXC 1510 combo but it left me cold. That's two Edens I've played and was not impressed by either. I WANT to like them but it must just be me...

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You could just buy a AG500 head and a sep cab. I prefer seprets for several reasons (portability, if one breaks the other is ok on it's own, you can choose to upgrade the cab or the head, etc). Music123 is blowing out the Aggie 500 heads for $969 (both the SC and dual channel versions are this price) and then you can get the cab of your choice. Then you have the option of upgrading one of the two if want to in the future.

5. I use an AG500 with GS112's, I love it. I actually use the second channel a lot, but never for distortion. With the saturation knob all the way off you can get a nice tubey tone, sounds great. I agree with Quad, separates are much easier to move around, upgradeable, and all that good stuff. But if you don't mind the portability I'm sure the combo is awesome.

6. Quadzilla

Yeah a lot of guys also use the second channel contour feature for slap and use no distortion. Works great for that too. Having two channels to configure differently is nice (the distortion/overdrive is just another bonus of the second channel, but can be turned off completely).

7. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's funny -- I wanted NOT to like the Eden stuff, but I did! I only tried the Metro and the one I bought. I like the hybrid tube/SS action.
    I tried the Ashdown ABM 2x10 combo and liked it, but Ashdown's reliability rep didn't thrill me. Still, they sound pretty damn nice. Had you considered them? I would think the picked Ric sound would work well with the vintage-style tone they produce.

That's cool about the Aggie. I had assumed it was more High-$$$. I haven't ever even brought myself to try them b/c of that assumption. Don't want to tempt myself in that manner...

8. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm going back on Tuesday to play all of 'em again with my basses. We'll see.

I've heard some grumbling about Ashdown reliability...is it really that bad?

The Aggie is a bit more expensive but I think I can swing it. I KEEP thinking about that amp now (sigh).

We should meet for beers sometime since we're both in the ATL....

9. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Thanks guys.

Anybody else wanna throw in their .02 cents?!

10. Quadzilla

Music123 Aggie dual channel ($949 free ship)
    Avatar 2x12 Neo ($319 +ship) OR (even better yet) Avatar 4x10 Neo ($389 + ship).

So for about $1400ish you have a REAL nice setup and also can change out the cab OR head in the future if you want to. The newer Avatar 4x10 Neo (using custom Neo speakers with greater Xmax) and the newer beter crossover design has been getting rave reviews here on TB and in the Bass mags out there. That cab can hang with just about anything avail and it's only 65 lbs (light for a 4x10). I'd go with that rig!

The 2x12 ain't a bad choixe either, but I've had a few 12's and found them to be a bit mid-shy and also not real fast and lacking in the highs. The 4x10 neo goes as low as the 12's but gives your the benefits of being faster and better up top and handels more power, pushes more air, has better Xmax, etc.

There you have it...

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Someone must have scooped it up, cause it's gone now...

12. Quadzilla

No, they just stopped the sale. They were still on sale for that last week. THey had em on sale for several weeks. Hey, can't hurt to call them and ask if they will give you that price!