Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor = Awesome

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I picked up a hughes & kettner tube factor pedal yesterday and I think it's the best overdrive pedal available for bass. Allodox is a huge supporter of this pedal and I see why :bassist: They aren't cheap (I bought mine new for $219), but it's definately worth it. Has a real tube and dual footswitchable gain stages. Huge bottom end, huge tone, lots of smiles :) I have an active pre on my main bass now and I'm contemplating using this as a preamp (has enough output to push a poweramp). The tube clarity and warmth give me the exact tone I want, and the extra gain boost gives a clear, bassy, growling overdrive. Anyone else use one?
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Really nice to hear. Ive been looking at that or the tubeman 2. Never tried one though.
  3. JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I just got a Hughes and ketter Tube Factor.
    The variation and ease of use are fantastic.
    My only grip is that when you hit the factor 2 button it is a lot louder. Maybe that will be more useful in a live setting which I have not gotten to try it in yet.
  4. OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Probably because the factor 2 is most likely a boost.

That said how's it compare to the English Muff'n?
  5. JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Playing the 2 next to each other, I would assume the muffin is not for bass.
    The muffin seems to nothave punch, where the HK feels like it adds punch. Please know I have only used the Muffin for about 45min in a store with a cab that was not my own. However I feel confident in my assesment.
  6. pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    really thats interesting, a lot of people here swear by the eng muffn

I have been testing out a room mates tube factor lately, I like its punchy ness too, the clean boost is amazing.

7. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I used one for years, It has been replaced by a DBA interstellar bass overdriver in the last few months, but the H&K was the mainstay on my board for years before I decided I needed a little dirtier/fuzzier sound.
  8. JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Bumping an awesome pedal. You kids are missing out:_)
  9. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    mine just arrived today! is there any difference between the version with a flat finish, and the version with the machine finish? either way, im going to be checking it out over the next couple weeks