Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PlayTheBass, Feb 9, 2005.

1. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Anyone ever try a Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere on bass? I'm looking to get an organ-like sound on occasion, and wondered what options were out there. Charlie Hunter uses this pedal on his guitar strings and it sounds great, but it is kind of pricey.

2. I'm intrigued by the rotating speaker sound myself, but my guess is that it probably doesn't work well for bass- at least most of the time. I have used a DOD Vibrathang tremolo/vibe, & that's been my experience. A better quality pedal might yield better results, or you might find that effect in general to be more pleasing(than I have)to the ear. I've had to admit that the sound I think of & like, w/regard to this effect, is usually a guitar, or organ.

3. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks, yeah, I'm sure it won't sound nearly as nice as it does on guitar or bass, but I'm wondering if there's something that's passable. I've got a trio situation I'm playing with coming up soon, and there are a couple points in the tunes where I'm playing some double-stops as pads, and thought it might be cool to get the organ vibe. It would just be for some brief non-bassline parts, basically.

4. Try to find a Danelectro Rocky Road and then Google for the "untiy gain mod"...it's an easy fix to a cheap and good pedal. Great for some, even!

5. If you have a chorus pedal try turning up the rate/speed & depth & lowering the level. That or regular tremolo used sparingly might do what you want.

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Fulltone Deja-2 - got the speed control built right in =0) It sounds AWESOME to me anyways... buy used, though, so you won't hurt so bad when you look in your wallet afterward.

7. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Jammadave, have you tried the Fulltone with bass?

8. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Even a real leslie doesn't sound that great with bass through it - you really need to play a lot more upper-register material, otherwise all that comes through is a woofly-throbbing. Many jazz organists actually disconnect the motors to the woofer in a leslie so the effects is only present on the treble frequencies - leslie 122, 147s etc have a 12db crossover at 800 Hz - and this way the pedal / LH basslines come through much more clearly, while RH chords and single-not lines can still be 'leslie-fied'.

Bearing this in mind, it might be neat to have some way of blending in some clean bass with the processed signal, no matter what effect you go for. Depending on how picky you are, some of the previous suggestions might work and sound cool, but none will come that close to the sound of 'real deal' except perhaps the Rotosphere.

Mike

9. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    This got me thinking [mad scientist mode kicking in]... my preamp does have an effects loop with a mix control, so whatever I got I could do that. And I was thinking it would be cool to have an effect before the Leslie effect that bumped the signal up an octave. I know the EH Microsynth can add an octave up. Any other pedals do that?

10. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    More thinking -- maybe the "octave up" idea isn't so great after all, as octave effects don't do so hot with double-stops and chords. Though maybe octave up is different than octave down in this regard?

11. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    The newish EH POG (Polyphonic Octave Generator) can, I think, but I've never played one so am not sure. The demos I've seen on the net definitely have produced a psedu-organ type sound - these units are quite expensive though!!! The micro-synth is all-analog, and for the octave up uses a full-wave rectifier to double the frequency of the 'stuff' being fed through it. Even though I've had a MS and know the theory, I'm not sure how it would deal with double-stops / chords, were there are in fact two strong base pitches / harmonics. Maybe someone else can comment?

I think you'd be fine doing double-stops and chords high up on the neck through a leslie sim, in terms of being able to hear the modulation. The octave up device probably isn't necessary.

Mike

12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yessir - and it is AWESOME. I'm on my second (sold my first when I went with multiFX briefly but now I'm back to single stomps). The sound quality is incredible, and it can get thick enough to be truly noticeable, or more subtle - I run mine on Modern-Chorus settings with the intensity at about 3:00, not quite dimed. Add an envelope filter and overdrive and I'm in heaven.

Only "problem" I can see with it is that the level goes up *slightly* when it's switched on - i'm going to look into a gain trimpot addition if I can find somebody to do it, Fulltone won't do it themselves.

13. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Sweet!! Thanks, man. I've gotta check it out!