Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I thought I would see who has tried this pedal and what you thought of it.

The reason I ask is that I have an H&K Blue Edition combo that sounds perfect when I run my bass through it and then line out to my Trace rig. Well, H&K doesn't make a Blue Edition distortion pedal so I ordered me one of the Warp Factor pedals to check out. It is supposed to be here tomorrow.

I know a lot of you will say try the Tube Factor or Tubeman but they are a little pricey to just try and maybe not like. Atleast with the Warp Factor I won't take a big $ hit if it sucks. I only paid $42 brand new.

So...anyone have any input or experience with it?

BTW, this is the one:

[​IMG]
    Some key pieces of info:

WARP: Shapes midrange frequencies. Set to the far
    left position, it boosts low mids from 250 Hz to high
    mids at 1 kHz. Set to the far right, it cuts mids at
    500 hertz with a slight presence boost at 3 kHz.

SUB: Boosts the low end at 90 hertz. (The red ring is
    no longer visible when activated.)

2. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I know that the guitarist in my band has one and it does wonders for his tone. I've never tried it on my bass though.

3. i've never tried it on bass, but i heard it was made specifically for drop tuning metalheads (korn type music) and that really focuses on low end, so it might sound good :)
    i'd buy it and tell us what you think!

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, it arrived today! :hyper:

For balls-to-the-walls type distortion, look no further! To use one word to describe the sound it would have to be... thick and merciless! Oops, that's two! :p :bassist:

For the music I'm currently playing (probably called something "core" but I call it metal) it is darn near perfect. I can get a very Burton'esque sound from it but with a much richer, fuller tone. I tried it with my Weeping Demon wah and love the two together. I found that for me the 90hz boost was necessary and gave me what other distortions always stole, my low frequencies. I think H&K putting that little feature into the pedal was a nice touch.

There are some potential negatives for some people. The pedal takes up a fair amount of real estate and is odd shaped (compared to other pedals) which could be a problem for people with a cramped or space limited pedal board.

Second, this pedal does not use a 9v battery or any battery for that matter. Also, you can't power it from your pedal board 9v power as it runs off a 14v wallwart power supply which is included with the pedal.

Third, this pedal isn't for someone who just wants to add a little grit to their sound. This isn't for playing blues or classic rock either. Even at the lowest gain setting it still has a ragged edge to it that, IMO, wouldn't suit those genres.

In closing I would like to say I'm very pleased with what this pedal does for me so far. Yea, it isn't the most versatile Dist/OD pedal out there but it fills my distortion needs very well. BTW, sorry for the sloppy review.

I will try to post some samples later if anyone is interested.

5. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings

yes please on the clips!

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. Clips are always welcome! :bassist: