Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hughes Kettner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christos, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Does anyone have any info or experience with this company for bass rigs? They look excellant.....

[​IMG]

I love the look I have not heard one though....

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Hi Christos,
    I play a Hughes & Kettner BassBase 400 head (w/Ampeg cab) and recently also a BassBase 250 combo (250W into 2x10).
    I really love the fat and warm sound of those amps, however they have IMO a distinctive, a bit nasal purring tone (at least at lower volumes) which maybe one has to like.

I once tested the combo version of the Bassforce XXL-amp you're referring to and I frankly say that I did not like it, the Warwick CCL I compared it to sounded way better, much clearer and punchier. Also the "EQ-matrix", a 4 position preset switch , has hardly any effect.

However, as far as I remember the Bassforce XXL combo was awarded 'combo of the year' at the Musikmesse Frankfurt (which is the greatest or one of the greatest music fairs worldwide)

I guess the Bassforce stack is not the rig you have to search the whole country for, it's their 'budget line', not more, not less. And I think it is also rather expensive in the US.

Matthias

3. I used to have a BassBase 250 head, with the illuminated panel. It had a GREAT tone, but was not loud enough. Also the fuses are internal, and are soldered to one of the four (!) boards. Very labour intensive to do any work on, so I sold it. I really shoulda kept as a recording amp.