Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hughes & kettner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by istaticl, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Like the sound

40 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Dislike the sound

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I was wondering what everone thought about these amps sound? Like or dislike. Positives &negitives.

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I just picked up a Bassbase 400 and the BC410 cab over the net (screaming good deal, I couldn't pass it up) without ever having played the rig.

So far I am very happy with it. It can get more grit than my SWR SM400, and the preamp distortion is VERY nice. Tonally it has more bass, the highs are are not harsh. The varimetric eq works very well although I still have to get used to it. I imagine that I should be able to get as wide a range of tones from it as from the SWR and so far I am finding it easier to use. It seems to be a better match for my StingRay5 in terms of tone.

The cab is BIG and HHHEEEAAAVVVYYY but man it kicks.

I will try the rig at practice this friday and see how it works in a band setting but so far....WOW.

3. TeCaTo

TeCaTo

Jun 12, 2001
    Isnt the list price for the BC410 Cab almost 2000$???

Too expensive for me...

4. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    How about the combos, like the bass force xl, 200 watts through a 15 and a horn, anyone played these.

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I also have the BassBase400 (and a Stingray5 :)) and use it together with an Ampeg SVR-215.
    I really like it very much - warm and purring clean sound but you can also dial in some preamp tube distortion wich actually sounds good compared to other amps.
    The varimetric EQ is a modified semi-parametric EQ, it works well (musically and unobtrusively) but you have to get used to it.

Regarding combos: I justed tried them in a store but I liked the Warwick combos (CL and CCL) a lot better because they sound clearer and fatter - I can't imagine why the H&K XL was awarded 'combo of the year' at the Frankfurt music fair.

While the BassBase series are great amps, the combos are average IMHO, no need to search the whole country to find one. But if your store has one and you like it better than all other comparable amps, why not.

Just my 2cents,
    Matthias

6. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    ive got the bass force xl and i love this amp it is the best amp ive ever played out of its got a great sound and is punchy as hell i want to get the 4 10 cab to accompany it cuz when they play together the tone i got was unbeliveable it made any bass player ive met want one also so i would definally suggest checking it out

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    You see, it comes down to what you personally like!
    Matthias

8. Lovin Bass

Lovin Bass

Feb 8, 2002
    Los Angeles
    First off: The LIST price for the BC410 is $1099 so the actual selling price is really around $750...no where near $2000!!!

I love my BassBase 400 and BC410 cab. I haven't heard anything else that I have liked better. I have not tried everything but most of the popular brands at Guitar Center and Samash (SWR, AMPEG, GALLIEN KRUEGER, ETC.). I have not tried eden and am curious but I love the H&K stuff enough that I have no interest in searching out the EDEN stuff...no one seems to stock it in my area so I can't try it out. No big deal though, you can't go wrong with H&K.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm using a BassBase 600 amp with two EA VL-110 cabs.

Perfect.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't see it on the site...but do they by any chance make a bass pre-amp?

11. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    find a used fortress preamp, and pick up a carvin poweramp. couple it to the cab of your choice, and youve got a killer rig:) just dont be too liberal with the bass controls, or you'll be buying new cabs soon.

12. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    There's a Fortress pre right now on Ebay for anyone who is looking.

13. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    ndjx...your a bastard....you probably made me lose the bid...at first it was like 180 now its 265 all cuz you had to post...I hate you!:) Anyways, if the person who won is a tber, plz let me buy that Fortress from you.

14. The only tone I have found that I like better than my bassbase 400 is a mesa that costs more than twice as much. I play mine with the Avatar 410 +115 stack + my Sterling. I am still getting everything dialed but so far it is getting good responses from everyone who hears it.:D

15. I A/B'd it against an ashdown, and the ashdown blew it in pieces, no comparisation at all.
    When I plugged in the ashdown it just sounded great there's no way you can make sound this amp bad.
    The Hughes: I had to turn all the knobs several times to get a decent low end out of it, and the volume wasn't that high either.
    Or maybe I turned the wrong knobs/eq sliders.

This all was in combination with a Ampeg SVT410hlf cab.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Just curious... which Ashdown and which Hughes & Kettner products?

In my case I'm getting excellent lows (and overall sound) using a BB600 and two Euphonic Audio VL110 cabs, which are tiny. I'm using basses with excellent low B strings. I gig with it normally without PA support. I have the main controls set flat, to add bass all I'd have to do is do it at the bass or use the amp's Bass control. My only H&K experience is with the BassBase 600.

17. My BB400 puts out solid lows too. Amp almost flat. About 2 degrees of bass boost on my sterling and it's rumble city.

18. Hey Brad, It was a bassbase 400 with a ashdown abm500.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Cool. I like the ABM series and owned a MAG 400 briefly. I wouldn't trade the BB for one. I've come to enjoy the perplexed looks when people try to figure out how this little rig produces the sound, especially the lows, that it does:

[​IMG]

20. it's got the looks for sure!!!
    But can the EA cabs keep up with ampeg??