Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hughes und Kettner Tubeman for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by De Teng, Aug 8, 2005.

1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Me again.

I searched this part of the forum, but only got a few small lines about this device. I'm thinking of buying a preamp and play quite some guitar too. Practical, small... great tone?

How does it behave for bass... clean tone possible... slightly overdriven to distorted or is there only one really suitable? Please enlighten me. :cool:

The best, DT

[​IMG]

2. I'd be interested to know the same thing...

3. xylem

xylem

Jun 28, 2005
    Germany Bodensee
    The Hughes & Kettner Tube Faktor/Tube Man is just great for BASS. When connected and played with any normal bass amp it converts your transistor amp into a tubed pre amp.....you may not recognize your bass amp anymore :hyper: It mutates into a tubed monster. With the very easy to use knobs (faktor 1 is clean, Faktor 2 is distortion) you can set up the sounds to appeal anyway you like. From slight growling to intense screaming....this box offers all there ist to get the best out of a tubed preamp....this is not a simulation or a stomp box :ninja: This gizmo actually has a glowing tube on board, that makes the sound real and alive.
    I use it for all smaller trans amps (dont hook it onto a tube amp...too much of a good thing aint good for anybody).
    If you play guitar as well, this maschine will broaden your span more than anything else :bassist:

Go For IT......it´s not only mind blowing....it´s cheap as well :eyebrow:

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Wow, alright then. Thanks.

I noticed you're talking about the Tube Factor (factor 1 and 2) in your post. I think the same (and more..;) ) counts for the TubeMan? Guitar playing will be ideal for home and recording due to the DI-out. I have used the DI out of a Tube 50 amp (discontinued a few years ago) and it was great. I think for bass it will do too.

I'm realling gassin' along.... !!! :p

More reviews...;)

5. andy_p6

andy_p6

Apr 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Our guitarist uses a tubeman in the band for all our gigs and most recordings. He goes amp-less at nearly all gigs and plugs it straight into the PA and it truly sounds stunning.

hmmm, might have to give it a go on the bass... never thought of doing so before. cool!

6. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    H & K has a FAQ about this on their web site. It says:

What’s the difference between the Tube Factor and the Tubeman II?

Developed as a special front-end unit, the Tube Factor essentially retains the electric guitar’s natural frequency response, but enriches the signal with added harmonics. This spices up solid-state amps with a sprinkling of tube flavor. The Tube Factor is also an instant boosting / customizing job for tube amps. Whereas once you had to take your tube amp to a tuning guru to get more gain and channels, now all you have to is plug in the Tube Factor.

The Tubeman II was designed to be something altogether different - a tube-driven, direct-to-desk recording tool. The Tubeman’s frequency response was radically altered to mimic a miked-up guitar amp. Because its frequency response is tweaked for mixing consoles, plugging it into a guitar amp’s input won’t yield good results. However, the Tubeman II is equipped with a line out that may be connected to a power amp driving a speaker cabinet or to an amp’s line in/FX return.

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well, thanks for the input, this gives insight.

A pity the tube factor doesn't have a DI out... :crying:... my effects included it would be a great portable little set. Practically every pro-like amp has an fx-loop, so in fact the Tubeman II wouldn't be a problem anyway... great for recording guitar too. I'll think I'll stick with the Tubeman... can't go wrong I believe.

Just have to test it next to the Radial Bassbone and make up my mind whether to sell my Head and Cabinet.... could be better financially and more practical.

Input is always appreciated about these boxes... ;)