Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

huh huh, I'm like posting on the double bass forum. this is cool.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JWC, Feb 16, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Seriously, I was wanting to get into playing double bass. Where in the world do you find one for sale and how the hell do you go about learning to play one. Is it alot like electric bass?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    As far as where you can find one, that depends greatly upon where you live. Try going to Bob Gollihur's website and looking at the links page - it contains about a million bass links, including one listing bass sellers and luthiers all over the country.

As to the question of whether it's a lot like the bass guitar, well, yes and no. It is a closer relative to the bass guitar than to, say, the Theramin, but other than that they're fairly different. If you've spent much time lurking on this side of the board, you'll know that every time somebody asks that question about "how do I play it?", about ten guys chime in with their own personal variation on the following theme: "Boah, getcho *ss to a teachuh fo' you dunn gone an huut yossefff". If you haven't spent much time down here reading, you might try watching other self-taught guys get slagged of by the regulars for trying to teach themselves (thereby experiencing the heat vicariously) before you get to experience it firsthand, which will happen if you just ask the question straight out yourself. As an example, search the archives of the DB Technique and Misc. forums. A good place to start if you can find it is the thread entitled "Hello" by Mike Chargorilla.

I myself have never experienced this phenomenon firsthand, since of course I've been with a teacher from the very beginning. :rolleyes:

(ahem....)

Good luck.

3. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Where not to buy a DB is in a guitar/music supercenter a al Mars Music or Guitar Center and the like. You'll have better luck with a violin shop (they can at least point you in the right direction) I will definitely recommend www.gollihur.com as a great starting point for information. See if you can find someone in your area who plays to help you look - a good suggestion would be to have your teacher help you find an instrument. See below.

How to play - get a teacher, at the very least for several months, to get you started with proper technique or else "yew gonna hurt yerself" This is a non-negotiable point.

Like the BG? - It serves the same role in music, is notated the same, is tuned the same (or at least the same as some small fraction of the strings on John Turner's canoe paddles). Other than that it is a completely different beast.