Hum and crackeling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpankBass, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Well there is a buzz whenever I don't have my hand touching anything metal on my bass (strings, bridge), and crakels a bit when I first put my hand on any of the metal parts.

I started noticing this just after I bought a Fender BXR 200. I'm playing an MIM Fender Jazz V.

Any ideas on what to do?
  2. Have you checked your ground wire to the bridge? There's no active electronics in the bass is there?? If so, check the grounding to the circuit board and volume pots etc.

What about your amp? Does it only crackle with this bass? Or can u try another one to determine which is crackling.

3. Allright, its definately the amp. I tried my bass through another amp and nothing happened, plus the former owner told me he had probs with the hum too.

So Merls or Hammy, wanna shoot this over to amps?
  4. Bumpity.

Damnit someone help me! I'm too cheap to take it to a repair man! :D
  5. I'm gonna open it up tomarrow and check for any loose wires and the such. I'll post again with any new info. Sorry, I just realized that my post wasn't specific enough, and no one would really know whats going on without more details or actually seeing the amp.
  6. Actually I meant if your amp was properly plugged to the power source.. with the 3 tips.
  7. Hey, actually, it isnt! Its missing the bottom prong (thats what its called right?). Could that be the problem?
  8. That's it man.. You should get a new connector and replace it. Not only to fix that noise problem but for your safety. A bassist died electrified in my town on stage basically because his combo wasn't grounded.