Hum at J Pickup Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified Active

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rolo, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Rolo

Rolo

Jan 23, 2016
    Hi I have a Squier Vintange Modified Jaguar Active Bass and I have a terrible hum at the J pickup. When I turn off the J pickup (single coil) the hum stops. I checked the grounding and everthing seems to be connected, the onky thing I discovered was a poor conductive paint job by the makers and the ground cable from the bridge it is connected with the grounds from pickups to the trebble boost and the cavity ground cables are connected to the p pickup pot. I repainted and waiting for the paint to dry to see if the problem was corrected. Anyway, I would like suggestions in case this doesn't work. I was thinking re do the shielding with cooper tape or replace the J bass pickup. Thanks in advance. 1488985500387-232599607.jpg 14889855549171624784917.jpg

2. Rolo

Rolo

Jan 23, 2016
    Also hum low intensity when treeble boost is off

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

If the hum only comes when you blend the J pickup and it is otherwise not present the bass is functioning correctly. If you have a hum the stops when you touch metal/strings/bridge then some shielding will help address that but, from what I have read, it seems like it is just normal single coil operation. If you want to stop a single coil pickup from humming you would need to replace it with a humbucking pickup or add a dummy coil or an Audere pre-amp.

Rolo likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022