1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hum/buzz with Tone turned up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by turbo chicken, Mar 16, 2010.

1. I gave an honest effort at searching last night and i can't find a general answer... cause it seems it can come from multiple sources...

I see people shielding to prevent hum from the pickups ... is this what i need to do?

or do i need to replace the pot ... as i see a couple single ones that have a bass and treble knobs :D

i have no problem using a soldering iron or working with wires/electronics as i do it with my rc stuff.

The equipment i have is ...
    -Dean Edge 09 bass with a "soapbar" pickup... i have no idea what the actual pickup configuration is inside the cover at this point .
    -Acoustic B20
    -Standard 10' cheapy cable from GC

any terms i should be searching for a solution? cause my searches cam up with shielding as the only answer... and i found the big sticky on that ..

____

after a google search hum seems to come from bad grounding .... considering my bass is cheap... i'll chaulk it up to bad wiring in which case i'll have to look tonight and see if i can improve it by adding a ground somewhere...

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If your referring to when you raise the treble control rather high on the basses onboard eq. Thats not uncommon. However if your getting hum with treble flat or just lightly on, it could be sheilding inside the bass, or poor qaulity instrument cable. If you need cheap cable budget wise, MusiciansFriend house brand, and the lower end Livewires have worked best for me over the years. Though Ive upgraded everything to Livewire elite in the last 2 years for fuller & more detailed sound. Does the hum stop when you touch the strings? If so could the the ground wire to bridge isnt connected right anymore.

3. okay i've tried another cable still buzzes.

i can hear it even when i barely turn the tone pot on

when i play it still hums and i can hear it clearly ... i was even able to try out my amp/bass combo at my dads over last weekend and same thing so i don't think it was just regular interference from house hold electronics...

i have a few hours this morning to shield the thing if that don't work ... ill be rewiring everything :D

4. DJS

DJS

Feb 10, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I have the same, or similar issue with my "budget friendly" Ibanez 190, and am looking for new pickups as a result. The noise does go away if I touch the strings.

Where would I look for this ground wire? I'm halfway decent with wiring and soldering.

5. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    There should just be a solitary wire coming through the bottommost hole in your control cavity, that would be your bridge ground.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020