Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hum canceling pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StandYourGround, Dec 25, 2005.

1. so my mom was out huntin for some pickups to get rid of the buzzing i get from my bass but couldnt find anything. however, a salesman offered her a pedal that he said would work and came with a "load of different sounds" according to him. i dont know much about any pedals so i was curious as to what this could have been or was he trying to make a sale? and info appreciated cuz i might go back and snag it if its worthwhile. o yeah, and price range for this type of thing would be a plus. thanks.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do you remember what it looked like?

Boss puts out the NS-2, a noise supressor. It negates signal unless it's of a certain level (usually the difference between playing and not playing.

Did it look like this?
    [​IMG]

3. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    Before you go running off buying pedals I'd suggesting finding a good guitar tech to take a peek at your bass. It could be an electronic grounding problem that could easily be resolved in 5 minutes. And it'll probably cost less than some lame pedal that you probably don't really need.

My .02

4. yeah i kind of figured that the guy was just tryin to make a sale. i dont know what pedal it was cuz i wasnt there, just my mom shopping for an xmas gift. as for the grounding issue what would need to be looked at and done exactly?

5. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    If you're not experienced with soldering and electronics, I'd suggest you bring it into your local guitar shop and not bother with trying to fix it yourself. As for what would need to be done exactly- as I don't have your bass in front of me, I can only speculate.

Take it in and tell them to check the electronics to make sure the instrument is grounded properly. This will included making sure the ground wire at the bridge is positioned to make positive contact with the bridge, checking the contacts within the electronics cavity (ie: cold or cracked solder joints, pickup hot/gound wires reversed or otherwise miswired, or some other wiring mishap).

Other potential problems: your amp, bad cables, "dirty" or unstable power from the outlet in your home, flourescent lights, neon lights, dimmer switches on a light fixture in your room...

Get your bass checked out first. I have a feeling its a simple grounding issue. Good luck!

6. thanks, ill have to get it checked out!