1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hum canceling pickups & shielding question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ny_chan, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Does it mean anything if I have hum canceling pickups and just do not sheild my bass? What is the difference if I decide to shield my bass?
    Just wondering if I should sheild my bass. Thanks for your feedback.

2. It'd probably be still a good idea to shield. Hum can still in induced in the wiring outside of the pickup. Better right the first time than needing to tear it down and fix it.

3. I recently faced the same question. I originally was just gonna shield my bass, but then I got a killer deal on some hum-cancelling Barts on eBay. I temp-wired the Barts in and they're super quiet, but I figure if I shield it now I can feel free to switch back to single coils whenever I want too.

Then I thought "hey, I could refinish my bass and get rid of all those dings and scratches..."

Yesterday as I sat in a small mound of saw dust I wondered if it was all worth it! :rollno:

4. does sheilding a bass with hum-canceling pickups makes it even more quiet...

5. Potentially yes, but the results will be much less obvious. The biggest problem is to do with noise being picked up by the single coil pickups, but the wiring inside the control cavity can also pickup noise.