1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hum cancelling jazz similar to Duncan QP's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by randysmojo, Jul 23, 2012.

1. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have an American Jazz Deluxe 5 string with Duncan Basslines QP pickups in it and it sounds pretty good, but I want something more quiet. Does anyone know of a jazz sized pickup that sounds similar to the QP's? It could be a little less dark and still be cool with me, but the overall tone seems pretty good to me. Especially wish I could use the Bridge soloed without hum. The bridge is warmer than a lot I've tried and I love it without having to adjust to make up for too many highs like I have on other sets. Any ideas? Bart's, EMG's? What do you think?

2. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    The Nordstand NJ5fs or the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz 5 maybe, but there's not a lot of room on a split coil jazz to overwind as much as the QP.

Edit: Forget the Nordy, they don't make the split coil I was thinking of in 5 string. the NJ4SE.

3. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I was kind of wondering about the Ultra Jazz, but te Nordstrand is one I will really look into as well. In the future, I would like to modify this bass to a P-bass pickup in the neck position and was already looking at a 5-string Nordy pickup as a possible option for that. I had mention Bartolini and EMG because they also have a 5-string P pickup. I hear EMG's with thier preamp are super quiet. That is pretty enticing too since I want to use it to record with as well.

4. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    See my edit about the nordy. It's no good for what you want.

5. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Everything I've read tells me that EMG's won't be close at all. I guess I'll keep searching.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    EMG's are cleaner than passives, but they sound killer and are dead quiet. If you're looking for passives, I'd say maybe DiMarzio Ultrajazzes if you want a more traditional Jazz Bass sound, or Model J's if you want a sound closer to the QP's.

7. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Unfortunately, they don't make a Moeel J in 5-string. I asked if they would and that's a negative!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Really? That's dopey. Why wouldn't they? They'd sell.

9. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know! You would think they must have had more people asking about it too!

10. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I have dimarzios in my frankenjazz. Fender pups sound flat when compared to the ultra jazz pups. I have them going through a Nordstrand active/passive preamp. The pups are hum canceling.. and providing the bass is grounded properly, and shielded, I do not see why they would not be quiet enough for your needs

11. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    You should talk to one of the custom guys like SGD Lutherie or Curtis Novak.

12. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm going to save some money up and go the custom route that StrangerDanger suggested. That way I can get them made to my needs perfectly. That would be so awesome!!! Thanks again for all the helpful comments!!