Hum cancelling Vs. single coil J p'ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by E.Z., Mar 16, 2004.

1. E.Z.

Apr 18, 2003
    Can someone explain the sonic difference between these two type of pickups?
  2. The DiMarzio Model J are hum cancelling.

They operate as two pair of single coils (E-A and D-G). One set of coils is wound in the opposite direction of the other... just like... a... <gasp> P-bass. Funny how Leo still has it right after all these years.

The Model J are significantly more quiet than stock single coil J pickups, but they retain the single coil tone.
  3. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I just installed the Model J's recently and they are dead silent.
  4. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm a Model J fan also. There is a slight attenuation of the highs compared to a standard single coil, but not enough to make a real difference. Good stuff, and reasonably priced.
  5. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Seems like single coil Js have around an 8K resistance. Are humcancelling Js wired to have the same pickup resistance, just with a hum cancelling structure?
  6. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    They're not always two different things. A pair of single coil pickups can (and normally do) hum-cancel each other when played at equal volumes.
  7. The Jazz bass (non MIM) is a hum cancelling pair when both pickups are fully on. The older MIM bass pickups were both wound the same direction, and hum no matter how they are combined.

The hum cancelling Model J are two pair wire opposite internally. Each Model J pickup is hum cancelling by itself, and does not need the other pickup for this purpose.
  8. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I understand that concept, my question was specifically about the self hum cancelling J pups (stacked/multi coil Js)
  9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Both my Jazz basses now have Dimarzio pups-Ultrajazz for fretted, Model J's for fretless. Dead quiet, and yes they have a vintage type tone.

For my Fender Pbass with Jbass bridge pickup, I use a Nordstrand NJ4SE, along with the NP4 Pbass pickup.

I hate that damn buzzing, so I got rid of the single coils. I only use hum cancelling now. I'm very happy with those. :hyper:
  10. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i use the model j's in my bass, i have 'em wired straight to the jack. pots and knobs are frivolous. j/k. anyways, the retain the jazz tone pretty good in my opinion. and those old mim's hum like a beast. i wired mine in series straight to jack and it hums like crazy but sounds ridiculously fat.
  11. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

just played a USA Jazz (single coils, not the deluxe noiseless) and even with the bridge or neck pup soloed, it didn't hum much at all (I was playing through headphones, so it would have been really easy to hear noise...). I was really surprised at that because the Skyline JO hummed really bad when the pups were soloed. Not sure what the difference was.
  12. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    A good shielding job will DRAMATICALLY reduce any hum on any bass.