hum in bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SirPoonga, May 4, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    My hum must be in the bass. It doesn't matter the amp used.
    When I touch the strings, tuning pegs, anything grounded the hum goes away. I continuity tested everything should be grounded, it seems grounded.

Why is it humming?

Edit: I have a squire pbass if that makes a difference.
  2. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    tried two different cables, both with same results.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Check over the ground to your bridge. Is it making proper contact under the bridge?
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The pickups aren't hum cancelling.

My Jazz Pickups hum, my P Pickups hum, but my Humbuckers don't.
  5. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    yes, as I said, I continuity tested everything that should be grounded. I put one end of the continuity tester on hthe output jack ground, one end on a tuning machine. There was continuity, so bridge is grounded.

It doesn't matter WHAT ground I touch, srings, bridge, metal sleeve of instrument cable on either end (even the amp end).

I tried two different amps, same results. I'm thinking of gettinga three prong to two prong electrical plug thingy and seeing what happens.
  6. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Also, on my hartke 20000 if I turn the high contour knob all the way down I can hide it, but then I am left with lows.
  7. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm sure they are stock squier p pups. I am thinking of getting some quarter pounders, those are suppose to be hum cancelling if I remember.

how's this sound like an idea to get rid of the hum for now. Since I need to touch ground and I anchor my thumg on the pup I should ground the pup screw....
  8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Single-coil hum doesn't go away when you touch metal parts on the bass, and a P pickup is hum cancelling.

I'm pretty sure this is a shielding issue. My J does the same thing and it's got humbucking DiMarzios in it. Before the DiMarzios, it hummed no matter what I did or touched when soloing a pickup. Otherwise, when both pickups were on, it only hummed when I wasn't touching something metal.

Make sure the elex cavity is well shielded, and the shielding is connected to ground. make sure the wires going to the pickups aren't any longer than they need to be, and that they pass thru a shielding sheath if possible (yes, you can add these). Finally, try to shield the pickup cavities, as well. If all that fails, throw three small round stones over your left shoulder while clicking your heels together, say "there's no place like home", and deal with it. :)