Hum in Lakland Skyline JO5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mobay45, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I got this bass yesterday that I bought off of Ebay. I plugged it in and noticed that is has a serious hum when only one volume knob is turned up. As a matter of fact, both knobs have to be at about the same volume to cancel it out. Is this normal for this bass? I really like the sound I was getting out of it when I lost the hum though.
  2. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, that's normal. It's something you have to live with if you like the single-coil sound. You get this with all jazz basses, and everything with single coil pick-ups.. Do a search in the pickups forum, and you'll find lots of info about it.. The only way to get rid of it is to change your pickups, i'm afraid.
  3. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Thanks! This is only the second Jazz that I've owned, the other was a 91 Fender Jazz with the lace sensor pups. I don't mind this if it's normal, I just wanted to make sure that I had made a fair deal.
  4. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Sadowsky makes humcanceling single jazz style pickups that sound like regular single coils without the hum. Yep, all true single coils hum unless the volume controls are balanced. My US Joe and Skyline DJ do the same thing, as did my MIA Fender Jazz and my Sadowsky before I had Roger change the pickups.
  5. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Yep, normal! My Inca silver jazz is the same way.