1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hum increases when I touch my strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xtaftx, May 10, 2010.

1. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    So at practice a few weeks ago (at a new space) my Jaguar bass had a crazy hum that increased when I touched the strings, but decreased when I touched the metal pickup plate. I tried it on another amp and the humming was still there. So, I took it in to get looked at and the repair guy said that everything sounded fine and that he could see nothing wrong with it, so he didn't charge me anything and there was no hum at the next practice or gig. Tonight, I put on new strings and hooked up my new pedal (micropog) and into a 4 track and noticed the same hum as before. It increased when I touched the strings, decreased when I touched the input plate, and also decreased when my foot touched the micropog (which has a metal case). Should I get a second opinion on my bass? The repair guy said that he could rip it open and check every single ground, but he didn't want to unless it was for sure giving him problems, so I think I might have to do that. Are they any suggestions/similar experiences? Thanks.

2. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    Suppose I could bump it

3. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    It sounds like Somebody is going to have to open it up and look around. If you trust the first guy to do good work, Id take it back there. I'd agree that it's a ground. The fact that he didn't just take it, open it up, and charge you an arm and a leg makes me trust him a bit. Id probably go back there unless you have some other reason not to.

4. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    It COULD be that that is not making proper contact...take the bridge off, SCRAPE OFF THE PLATING in the area that the bridge wire touches, and make sure it is making solid contact.

Barring that, it is quite probably that Fender, in their usual inimitable way, has not shielded your bass properly. If one little place is not connected to all the others, instead of shielding you've just made an antennae for noise. See the shielding tutorial sticky on this site and do that. If that doesn't help, scrap all the pickups/controls/wiring and start all over.

Cheers,
    Cameron

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd take a volt/ohm meter and touch one probe to a string or the bridge and the other to the 3/8" nut on the output jack. it should read zero ohms. if it doesn't, then you bridge/strings are not grounded.

6. jag-atk

jag-atk

May 5, 2010
    a well-known issue of Jaguar basses is the hum that comes out when the active mode is switched on because of a cavity insulation defect. my Jag do it as well. it can be easily fixed (no need to mess with wiring) and i remember a post here on TB explaining how to do it. the weird thing is that this hum should disappear when you touch with your hand each metal part in the bass... including strings!!!