1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hum noise with 1-spot daisy chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongostealth, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Hello everyone. I have a question:

I recently powered-up my pedals with my trusty 1-spot. However, I noticed that I get a loud hum when all pedals are powered by the daisy chain. I thought it was my bass, but I get the same hum with all my basses, including my Roscoe which was recently worked on and shielded by Keith Roscoe himself. It also happens no matter which wall or building I plug into. So it might not be a ground loop or something in the walls.

To isolate the issue I did the following:

1. Ran and powered only my GK Plex with the 1-spot with and without the daisy chain connection --> no hum;
    2. Powered the GK Plex with the 1-spot daisy chain and ran it into my Zoom B1on, but with the Zoom running on battery power only --> no hum;
    3. Powered both the GK Plex and the Zoom with the 1-spot daisy chain --> loud hum

Therefore, the hum occurs when all pedals are powered by the 1-spot daisy chain. How do I eliminate the hum?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Use an isolated power supply, this is a common problem with digital effects: they hum when they are sharing a daisy chain. Sometimes they won’t, but most of the time they do.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Is this a new thing? When did it start? Any changes before hum started?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. I didn't have the problem when I powered up the pedals but without the GK Plex. Now that I've thrown the GK into the mix, I get the hum problem. As TheEmptyCell wrote, it must be the fact that the GK is a digital pedal.

5. This must be it. I will try the isolated power supply. Any recommendations?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Zooms are notorious hum creators unless they're on an iso line.

For an iso line, you could just get another 1-Spot, but I've been using the MXR Iso Brick and it's been really cool. Has a wall wart, but it's very light and has a butt-ton of power.

bongostealth and PillO like this.
  7. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    That's what my guitarist did when he added a Pog to his board. Before adding a second 1spot, his overdrive after the Pog made a terrible hum when on. Second 1spot eradicated the noise, and it's a relatively cheap fix.

bongostealth, Spidey2112 and JimmyM like this.
  8. You might also try reversing the order of pedals on the daisy chain as I have found that to make a difference. Plex and Zoom are both digital and high draw devices but a 1Spot should have ample power to spare if those are your only pedals.

bongostealth and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. S
    Possibly too much current draw from both devices for the power supply being used.
    Check the rated current draw from each device, then what is the power supply capable of supplying.
    If the PS isn't rated to supply more than the total of both devices (and in practice you'd do well to have double the capacity) then it can hum.

bongostealth likes this.
  10. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i reached that point also as i added more pedals ... i needed to step up to a ISO power supply ...

why power good pedals with a fairy cheap 1 spot ..? they seem OK for a few basic pedals , as mine is now on my baby practice rig ..

bongostealth likes this.
  11. I still have my one spot for a backup. Using a Cioks these days. I was using the one spot to power my board for nearly two years. It seems to work perfectly with analog pedals. Even low draw digital pedals like the boss dd3 it worked fine with no noise issues. But high draw digital pedals just don't play nice with the daisy chain. I recommend getting an isolated power supply or ditching the digital stuff and going mostly or all analog

bongostealth likes this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Voodoo Pedal Power 2 +... great customer service, too!

munkeyfish likes this.
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think OneSpot also makes an multi-iso power supply, now...

bongostealth likes this.
  14. dessert456

dessert456

Mar 6, 2017
    ISOLATED POWER SUPPLY
    Daisy chains and non-isolated power supplies are just garbage in a package

bongostealth likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've run as many as 13 on a single 1-Spot without hum. Would still be using it if it weren't for that dangnab Pitch Fork.

TerribleLiar23 and bongostealth like this.
  16. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    i only used a one spot as a "possible bag" item. I keep one and a 5-pedal daisy chain with my tool kit. I figure if my cioks power supply ever kicked, this could let the show go on. I keep it in reserve b/c it's a plan B. Isolated means that each outlet is individual. Power supplies like the one spot, the one that pedaltrain makes, etc. are not. When you get into your voodoo brand, cioks, quite a few others are going to be more likely to play nice with some of your more invasive pedals.
    Here, watch this. You'll know more than you need i'm sure...

Hope this helps!

bongostealth likes this.
  17. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    People have reported having problems powering their Plex with good quality isolated supplies. That puppy pulls a lot of current. @affro & @Jack even tried current doubling cables with 2 x 500mA outlets on their Ojai's with no luck. I'd recommend using the psu that came with the Plex or getting another OneSpot.

bongostealth likes this.
  18. Had the same issue during soundcheck of my last gig. Hum I had never paid attention to before during rehearsals, suddenly became quite loud. I had to remove most of my pedals and leave the basic ones I really needed: tuner, compressor and preamp/DI.

I had bought the 1-spot daisy chain when I had a few pedals, but my board grew significantly in the meantime. So I finally moved to an isolated power supply, the CS12 from Truetone. No hum, all good now :thumbsup: The CS12 gives you a lot of flexibility as it can power on pedals running on 18V (and 12V as well I believe). I can then also power my Tone Hammer DI without requiring an power cable.

gregmon79 and bongostealth like this.
  19. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    As has been said, an isolated power supply would likely solve your issue. The cheapest would be get another one spot and run the plex or the Zoom on that.

In the end, a decent power supply is always a good investment.

bongostealth likes this.
  20. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah, its the Zoom. I found even with isolated power some of the Zoom stuff is still finicky. I use a Truetone CS7 and an MXR ISO brick and they are worlds better than the 1spots I used to use.