Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hum on my amp, Pups or The Amp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I don't mind my MIM J pick-ups, but I'm looking to replace them. My amp has terrible hum, and when I unplug the bass or turn the controls down the hum goes away. I'm wondering if this is the pick-ups or the amp, it might be both.

Oh, which should I get? Fender 60's CS, or Dimarzio pups? I'm looking for punch, or something. Heh. Is there any diffirence between the regular Dimarzio J and the Dimarzio "Ultra J"?

2. it could be both or jsut one. if you plug in your bass adn turn up your amp to normal valume and turn the volume on the bass' controls all the way down and there is still a hum then it is the amp, if it goes away it may be the pickups. it could also be faulty ground wires or improper insulation, or a bad cord.

3. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    When I turn down the volume pots with my amp controls all at about mid volume, the hum goes away. So I guess it's the pups.

4. It IS the pups. May be exacerbated by nearby computer monitors or fluorescent lights, but it's the pups.

Buzz and hum are part of the single coil sound. You either put up with it (though there are better pups than the stock MIM ones...the CS 60s are great. Sadowsky are magic), or you go the hum cancelling route with dimarzios (some hum), Bartolinis (less hum) or EMG actives (as nearly hum free as you can get). You won't get THAT sound, though.

5. Of course, MIM pickups aren't gonna get you THAT sound either.

SONGSABOUTFORNICATION,
    You might want to look into some used Bartolini, Duncan, or DiMarzio J pickups.

6. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Out of those 3, which would most likely give me a David Simms (Scratch Acid, Rapeman, Jesus Lizard)-like tone? I'm sure he plays with a 70's Fender Jazz, so. But I looove his tone. I want to eat it. Like a delicious cake. mmm.