Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hum problem w/fender jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jacopas, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Hello,

I have an annoying problem with my fender geddy lee jazz bass. when I do not touch the strings there is a certain hum coming from my amp. when i touch the strings everything is okey. how can i solve this problem? I can not be in contact with strings all the time :)

Thanks

-ibrahim

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I'm not sure how much you've tested w/different amps, cords, plugs & ground lift switches, it might need to be shielded.
    Mine was doing the same thing, brand new bass w/ 2 humbuckers & it was shielded. If I wasn't touching it it would buzz. Turns out it was my refrigerator 80' away from the room I was playing in. I unplugged it went & played again & it was gone! Turns out the refrigerator needs to be grounded better I think, it's brand new.
    My theory is that the amp fan is spinning in the same direction as my refrigerator compressor. Try it, but don't forget to plug it back in or the Mrs. could get agitated.