1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hum problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mutant Corn, Sep 6, 2008.

1. It's on one of these

I thought this was a (pretty bad) grounding/shielding issue at first, when I was using my Hartke A25. Then I switched to my Peavey Basic 40 (dorm room) and there's no buzz at all. It buzzed a bit on my Carvin BX600, but not like on the Hartke. What's going on?

I'm thinking maybe it's because the Basic 40 has a two prong plug, but I'm not sure and don't know much about things like that. My knowledge of electronics is limited to simple DC circuits.

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Fluorescent lights? Other sources of RFI near the Hartke but not at the other location(s)?

Just a thought.

=wr=

3. We have some of those curly florescent lights that seem to be replacing incandescent bulbs, but I have three of those in my dorm room.

I'm not sure what other kind of RFI could get to it. The Hartke is in a house that's right at the base of a mountain...we have trouble picking up local radio stations there. My dorm room is on the 5th floor of a building in the middle of Little Rock, AR. The Carvin's in the same house as the Hartke.

You see why I'm so confused? :confused:

4. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Computer monitors and TVs can give off interference as well. I'm no expert on the topic though; just trying to think of external causes first.

=wr=

5. well there weren't any of those around...well there was a big LCD about ten feet from the Hartke, but the Carvin buzzed too with no screens in sight.

Forgot to add, the buzzing got quieter when I touched the bass, but didn't go away.

I'm playing the thing right now through the Peavey with no buzz, so It's not a grounding issue...not with the bass at least. I think you guys might be right about the interference but I have no idea where it could be coming from. If it's not..well I should probably shield the thing anyway.