1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hum, volume issues, etc

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, May 6, 2010.

1. I have a cheap Squire PJ that I'm loving, having done a lot of set-up work on it since receiving. Plays and sounds great - most of the time.

issues....
    - even with both volumes rolled 100% off, I'm getting about 20% volume
    - there seems to be some kind of short (?), whereby even if I have the treble (tone) rolled all the way off (no treble), at times it comes back on 100%, which really doesn't work either in live performance or recording.

what's going on? I just bought a wiring kit (new pots, cap, wire, shielding tape) but haven't put anything in yet.

back when my multi-tester was working, I tested the ground to the bridge and it was fine (constant tone from the multi)

help!

Mark

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Sounds like a bad ground. Inspect all the ground connections for a poor solder joint and make sure all the pots and jack are tight.

If there is not a separate ground wire from the output jack to the ground points on the pots, add one.

mech

3. thanks mech, if it doesn't have a ground on the jack, where on it do I connect to?

Thanks,

Mark

4. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA