Hum when not playing ...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by unrealrocks, Jan 31, 2004.

1. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    OK - I've had this bass (Stagg BC300 - I know its rubbish but I'm a student) and noticed that depending on how I setup the pickups I get this annoying buzz. Its only noticable when its up loud (not noticed on my little 25Watt, only noticed when playing on a 150Watt Laney the other day). I've got it down to the bass as I've tryed two different amps, umpteenth cables.

I think its a grounding problem because when I touch the stings its quieter (grounding the instrument?) ...

Any ideas / advice would be appreciated :)
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

It sure sounds like grounding is at least part of the issue.
  3. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I had the same problem with my Ibanez. I checked the ground wire from the bridge to the pots to the pups but it still buzzed. I made a GS6 canare instrument cable and it went away. This cable has a braided shielded vs a serve (wrapped) shield. If you find it's not a ground try buying an instrument cable with braided shield.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I've found a poorly grounded bridge to be the cause of this problem a lot of times.

Take the screws out of the bridge and check for a ground wire coming out of the body under the bridge. Clean the wire by scraping with a knife till is bright and clean. replace the bridge making sure that the bare wire is pinched firmly under the bridge.

Harrell S.
  5. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    Right, not quite sure what this means BUT ...

If I go close to amps/computers the humming gets much worse. Although if I stand the other side of my room away from everything electrical there isn't any hum ... interfearence of some sort?
  6. yeah..sounds like a shielding problem rather than a grounding issue.
  7. unrealrocks

Jan 8, 2004
    Thought as much ...

*Runs off to store to get a shielded cable*