1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hum...which one

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ziltoid, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Being a good little pedal noob I searched and listened to different soundclips, I'm trying to figure out my next pedal.

Here's the E. Filter I liked:
    EHX Enigma
    EBS BassIQ
    EHX Qtron+ (This one is getting less love I think, right?)
    3leaf audio

Now If somebody could help me narrow this down to one pedal. If there's one used selling in the classifieds it's a BIG +.

Also at the same time I'm thinking about going a completely different way for my second pedal getting a sampler recorder (looper)

Here's the list to narrow down:
    Akai headrush <-no go, I've found the record to be too short
    Rc-2
    Rc-20
    EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai
    Other (I probably forgot to check some good one but I don't see myself spending the price for a boomerang)

So will you guys please help a noob brother out? :)

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Well, what do you want to do with an envelope filter? What features do you need? Are you looking for swampy funk? Synthy sweep? Wah-like tone? Gurgly, quacky, smooth? Unless you specify, these kinds of threads quickly devolve into people firing off their favorite pedals, which may or may not suit your needs/wants.

3. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I currently don't have any "needs", I kinda like the "wet"(don't shoot me if it's nto the right therm) feeling I heard from the bassIq if that's of any help.

4. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I'd really love clarification about the loopers/samplers
    I've been talked out of the memory man has it's too basic and there's 0 place to mistakes +it's only 30seconds of delay, and there's no "loop tempo" (like I know what that is)

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Loop temp? Did they mean quantization? If so that's not something to worry about really. First question to ask yourself- do you need a delay too? If not, take the SMMWH and Akai off the list- they do not have all the features that the standalone loopers in the same price range have. Second- do you want a multitrack looper for live song creation, or are you looking for a normal single track looper to use as a great practice tool and some light songmaking? If you only need the practice/noodle aspect, you can skip the more expensive loopers. Of those, the RC-20XL, the RC-2, and the Digitech Jamman are the ones to choose from. The Jamman and RC-20XL are very similar- the Jamman has a few more advantages over the Boss, although the Boss has a few ways to end a track (fade out, etc.) that the Jamman apparently doesn't have. The RC-2 is less easy to use as it only has one footswitch, but it's very compact and has a drum track playalong its bigger brother doesn't have. It's also the cheapest.

6. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Other then the footswitch and drum aspects is thereother difference between the rc-2 and 20?

This will mainly be for Noodling/doodling, No live stuff maybe some youtube videos or clips just for fun, no biggy, but that doesn't mean i don't want quality, I want quality :)

edit: No considering akai,smmwh anymore

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's not really anything significantly different between them after that (except price and I don't thing the RC-2 has fadeout options), but the second footswitch thing would be important to me. It does allow for attaching a footswitch though.

8. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Rc-2 looks like the way to go so far, as for the debate I was giving myself, I'll get a looper/sampler before getting other pedals.Now I've got to find a used rc-2

9. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Don't use any pedals, fool! :)

10. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    You're in the wrong sub-forum my friend ;)

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree- envelope filtering and looping are TOTALLY things a good bass player can do just using his fingers :p

12. The cool thing about EBS is that I've found their demos on their website extremely accurate. Usually there is some variability with sound clips, but those are really close. I'd highly recommend the bassIQ.

13. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    the rc-2 has been ordered