Hum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mark Szczerba, Dec 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mark Szczerba

mark Szczerba

Sep 1, 2008
    I have 6 effects in a boss case. I’m looking for the reason I get him out of my amp. The in and out cable work fine when plugged direct from bass to amp. Plug into the effects and there is a hum. Low frequency hum which would indicate a ground I’ve tried doing all of the effects singly and get the same. All the cables cannot be bad. I’m using all boss units and a boss 6 effect holder with an in and out effects in between
    One power source for all which could be the culprit. I use a Mesa subway head. That’s not the issue as I see as it is clean with out the effects
    Anybody have any similar or advice? With my sting ray bass I get this real high whine as well
    The p bass not. Could be active electronics versus passive

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Sounds like a power supply thing. What is the power supply? Most pedals want to have a regulated isolated power supply without daisy chaining. Alternatively you can give one of those lehle dc dfilters a try - LEHLE I haven't used one, but have heard good things about them for removing noise.

Alternatively you can try plugging your stuff in at a different location, rearranging the pedals and where they sit relative to the power. There are many factors that could cause hum. We would need more details to really help. My guess is power supply and I would guess that the lehle would be a quick fix.

estimated_eyes likes this.
  3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Try this for each pedal. bass>Pedal>amp. What are your results?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022