Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phaneo, Jul 19, 2005.

1. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    What causes the hum when I roll off one if my pickups on my passive USA Jazz with stock p/u's? It's only individual, if i roll off the bridge it hums, and likewise with the neck. I've been recording latey and want to be able to change up the sound by using my p/u's but can't cause of the hum. Any suggestions?
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Every standard jazz bass has this problem. Maybe get new special humless pickups.
  3. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Yep. Whenever you have two single coil pickups at unequal volume, or any single coil pickup without a counterpart to cancel it out, it will give a hum. Your likely going to have to replace the pickups, or just keep the volume equal. You can shield to try and reduce the problem, but no amount of shielding will get rid of the problem.
  4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    In the meantime, while wearing the bass and playing, turn slowly in a circle. You will find two directions you can face where the hum will disappear.
  5. This is because every regular jazz bass has 2 single coil pickups wired so that when both are at full volume, they form a humbucker. If you turn the volume in one of them, you're basically turning off one of the coils. Single coils pickup electromagnetic interference from the electrical wiring all around us (even some radio stations!). The only way to effectively get rid of this is to replace both your pickups with stacked or split jazz humbucking pickups. Each of this has 2 coils and will be silent when combined or on their own. Stacked has 2 equal sized coils one on top (or beside) the other. Split coils have 2 coils end to end. Dimarzio, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan, they all sell these kinds of pickups made to directly fit Fender Jazz without modification. Fender also makes their 'Noiseless' series of pickups, which are the same as described above, but I don't know if they sell it to the public or if they're only available as custom options on their instruments.
  6. I replaced the stock pickups (8K ohms) on my USA JAZZ with Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups (12.5k).

Awesome pickups. Increased low end, excellent mids, smooth highs excellent clarity, more signal output, and NO NOISE.
  7. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Thanks for the replies, i've had my eye on a pair of Nords. looks like it's time to drop the cash!!