Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hum

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Skorzen, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I just finished putting together my first bass, and everything works great, except that when I touch the knobs on any of the pots I get a really nasty hum. I am using a passive jazz type wiring sceme with bart soapbars. any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Have you grounded the pots properly? Often using a wire/copper link soldered to the body of the pot then linked to the next pot is a good grounding measure.

Make sure there is a good solder connection from your bridge to the ground as well.

:D:D

Merls

3. The only time you should get an electrical buzz like that is, like Merls said, with a grounding problem.

What I would do in your case is take a wire and run it through the poys and the output jack to see where it isn't grounding. Make sure you don't cut out the signal entirely though. I had a friend try to wire in new pots to his g****r, and he ran so many wires through he cut out the signal. It was prety funny when he came to me with his guitar. All I did was yank out the one extra wire he had cutting his signal and everything worked just fine again.

4. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    THanks for the input I finally realived that I was a little slow when I wired this thing, and wire the hot and ground backwards to the jack. Because I could still hear the sound of the strings I though it was correct, but I finally figured out what was wrong.