Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Human bass "The Bass"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Oct 22, 2004.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    has anyone ever played or heard of human bass... i want this one its like a cheap fodera

The Base has a neck through body with Maple or Ebony fretboard. The body is of Swamp ash with an exotic wood top.

- 864mm Mensure
    - 24 frets (+0 fret)
    - 2 DELANO-Single-Coil-Soapbars
    - 2-band-EQ (active, switchable)
    - Human Base Mono-Rail-Bridge
    - Gotoh-mechanics

its kinda perdy! :bag:

2. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I own a Human Base Class-X 5-string and a Human Base JB-X 5-string! They are great basses!!!

3. RunEvilSquirrel

RunEvilSquirrel

Jul 2, 2004
    sweetness! I like it! How much do these list for? Can i get one in America? thanks.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    From 2.500 to 3.000 EUR in Europe, depending on woods and number of strings...

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    well, I played a class-x (?) fretless through a glockenklang and i wasn't that impressed. maybe just not my thing or whatever... they're still one of the most highly spoken of bass basses in germany.

that said...

i don't like this idea at all. you don't show the respect of even trying to spell the name correctly even though it's on display for you just a few lines below in the text you pasted.

then you go on and say "its (sic) like a cheap fodera". don't you think the luthier would hate to see that? you're not only calling his basses cheap, which at 2.500-3000 euro (= $3000-3.500) they certainly aren't but also completely blend out the fact that he may have a very different concept/perspective and bass design than fodera.

sorry to be that harsh, but i found your post pretty ignorant. also please believe me that i don't say this because it's a german luthier and i'm from germany. had you said "benavente/nordstrand is like a cheap fodera" i would have reacted the same.

while fodera pioneered the single-cut design (or promoted it the best) that doesn't mean that other builders can't or shouldn't create their own variation of that idea.

that said...

my impression was that human base had a very "natural" or "pure" approach to their basses. perhaps similar to that warwick slogan "the sound of wood" (i mean the idea, not the actual sound or design). very well built and individual instruments. but IMO, you have to like that special
    concept to like the feel of the instruments.

6. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    OUCH!

well when you consider a fodera can cost you up to 700 euro
    and this human bass[probally increadably well built maybe even better]
    is 3000 thats a fair bit dare i say "cheaper"

but i get what your tryin to say frankly me bein from the same side of the pond as you i think i would prob steer away from the fodera...

7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    ok, it was a bit harsh, but i really wanted to drive the point home. actually the "cheap" part wasn't as important as the "it's a [...] fodera" part.

i think it's really important for a luthier to keep their own identity, at least at this level of craftsmanship.

buying a fodera in europe is quite pointless in my opinion. there's so much of an upcharge for taxes, customs and the fact that they're famous and rare that it's absolutely unfair.

but back to human base:

it might be of interest to you that a german bass magazine reviewed "The Base" recently, giving it very high marks.

a short synopsis of their review:

woodwork, fit & finish are great, all in all built quality is fantastic. (swamp ash body, birdseye maple fingerboard)

the neck is a "flat D" profile, very easy to play. action is very easy to adapt to your needs.

no neck dive at all. because of te well-designed body shape, weight is distributed very comfortably.

tonally, the bass is very precise and clean, no dead spots. punchy tone. the tone works equally good for "straight eigths" groove playing and fireworks chops playing (slapping/tapping, fast runs). the bass still has a very classical sound, not as "hi-fi" or modern as one might expect. this to be understood as a compliment, though.

the bass is able to deliver a great fundament and cut through.

sounds like winner. but again, you should definitely check basses out before playing or buying. even the greatest basses aren't "everything for everyone", as they still carry the personal construction-philosophy of their creator.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Does this Human bass luthier/company have a website? I tried doing a google search, but because Human and bass are pretty common words, I kept getting everything but this.

9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    http://www.humanbase.de/

I guess you did not find because they are called Human BaSE, not Human BaSS.

Good reputation, but definitely not my taste.

Cheers,
    JL

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thanks. Don't I feel like a dunce.

11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have to disagree.
    The only stupid questions are those one does not dare asking.

Cheers,
    JL

12. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    It is Human Base not bass! You can purchase one in America through Salwender International.Talk to Uwe,his number is 800-464-3525.

13. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    For your viewing pleasure.....

Human Base

This clip brought to you courtesy of JP Basses.
    JP Basses