Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Human Hearing & Lowest Note???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 7, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just wonderin',

what's the lowest frequency the human ear can sense? can we really hear the fundamental of a low B's 31Hz??

what's the "frequency response" of the human ear? :D

2. The standard range tossed about is 20Hz to 20KHz. Once you get down near 20Hz, you really start to feel it more than you hear it. And most folks can't hear much above 16KHz.

Chris

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    31Hz - definitely. Plug a bass w/ piezo pickups into your Acmes, and play the low B softly. It's there.

4. 20Hz is the lowest. Any lower and undesirable effects such as nosebleeds and concussion occur. 20kHz is the absolute limit, although when you hit puberty 16kHz is probably your maximum. I can hear 20kHz but only at a 50dB gain boost, and even then it's more of a spatial effect(feels like its behind me). 18kHz is my limit at 20dB boost, which I can't understand as I've been to some LOUD gigs.

More important is balanced hearing in both ears, which I have. You have to remember that when people drink their treble sensitivity drops, so at gigs they can probably only hear 12kHz, but if their hearing isn't balanced they'll notice.

5. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
  6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    A word of caution: when trying to find your upper hearing limit, you might turn up the volume pretty loud. The first problem is that you might blow your tweeters: you might not hear 50w of pure 18kHz, but it might melt their voice coils nonetheless. The second is your ears: it's possible (though I'm not sure) that you may do damage to your ears with frequencies you can't hear. Cranking it up with headphones on, for instance.