Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Human Range of Hearing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by floydbass, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Can anyone tell me what the human range of hearing is? I know it starts at about 20 hrz but where does it end? Thanks in advance for your replies.;) :)

(ps. Please don't turn this into a "low C#" theory thread.:p )

2. IIRC it usually stops around 20khz but in science we tested it and i was hearing the sound far past there

3. yeah but do you know the highest a person can hear?

4. "Experiments have shown that a healthy young person hears all sound frequencies from approximately 20 to 20,000 hertz."

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/ChrisDAmbrose.shtml

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    20hz to 20khz is the generally accepted range. But as people grow older they lose the top end of their hearing. Lots of people in their 20's probably can't hear 20khz any more.

6. In Tech-school for the US Coast Guard, where I was trained in Tele-communications, we were told that while some people may hear above and below this range, the accepted range for Audio Frequency (Sound waves that can be heard) is 30 Hz - 30 kHz.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    :D

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    ..also typically more elderly you become, more your hearing ability drops from the high end; it's been said that at certain age, around 50-60 years most people can't hear frequencies over 16000hz that well.

Also there might be independant differences where some frequences are muted: I know certain guy who hasn't hurt his hearing, been at relatively low noise levels all his life etc, but has something like -15db at 11khz.