1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humble brag: My signature Overwater 5-string. Any any other OW owners out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tb-player, Apr 6, 2019.

1. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Last year was my year for Overwater. I ordered my Phil Mann Signature Custom J-Style 5 string from Chris May at Overwater in May 2018. In November, she was in my hands and I couldn't be happier. I also own a Fodera Monarch and a Mayones Patriot. And while they're both amazing basses, the Overwater is my #1. The quality is unmatched and the John East OW J-Retro (flat-response) is an extremely versatile preamp.

Curious if there are any other OW owners out there?
    IMG_9498-edit.jpg IMG_9505.JPG IMG_7624.JPG Overwater body 2.JPG RawWood.jpg

2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    That's a beautiful instrument.

I know someone who owns a 5 string Overwater Jazz with split single coil Barts and a John East Unipre. One of the best sounding basses I've heard.

I've been looking out for one of these for the last year.

3. NorseBear0903

NorseBear0903

Nov 26, 2018
    Just got my 4 string Jazz custom and I love it. Looks almost identical but I chose the maple board.

Congrats!

4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    So do I read it correctly that you mean Fodera is not matching Overwater in quality?

5. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Its close, but to my taste, the Overwater edges out the Fodera in tone quality & versatility. They’re both built very well. I prefer the balance and neck feel of the Overwater. Someone else might feel the opposite. Its 100% subjective and I truly enjoy them both. Keep in mind, I’m comparing a fully custom handmade Overwater with a stock Fodera Monarch... both similarly priced.

BassBuzzRS and kodiakblair like this.
  6. tb-player

Mar 6, 2019
    Thanks. What you have is exactly what I was going to order for my 4-string. But I decided to buy a standard Fodera Monarch... mostly because I didn’t feel like waiting for another build. Overwater is an amazing company.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Byooteeful!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021