Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Humbling experience....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    went for an audition monday nite that i think every bass player in NY showed up for. it was a paying origianl gig with paid rehearsals and fairly easy material.

i usually do well at auditions and was confident, but i got rattled :eek: . the person auditioning told EVERYONE to be there at 7pm. a bunch of us were in this tiny little waiting space staring at each other. awkward silence. i broke it by saying, "HEY, SO ANYBODY HERE GO TO
    TALKBASS.COM?" they all just looked blankly at each other. i thought the whole world knew about this place. anyhow, my thinking of talkbass made me realize the comraderie all we bass players share and i began to to feel more like family, than as if i were competing.

so... the fact that we could all hear each other auditioning was slightly unnerving because i knew we were secretely hoping the one in the other room would screw up (at least i was), and finally my turn came. my MM has been very nice to me over the years, but chose to act up this one particular nite. they had an aguilar amp with 8000 knobs on it, and feeling a little rushed i couldn't really tweak a sound. my bass was simply NOT responding as i'm used to. felt like an entierely different instrument. no sustain, i had to really dig in, i couldn't pull off some of the embellishments i had been rehearsing in the house, and it got the best of me. i flubbed the arrangements of the songs, and rather than asking me to continue they stopped and said, ok, lets just go to the next song. ouch! (although that may have actually meant that they saw i was very capable, and just wanted to move on for time purposes). well, yep, i did the same thing in the second song, and i was done.

theyr'e auditioning more people tonight or tomorrow then they're going to schedule callbacks. i guess i'll see what's what then. i usually know whats up when i leave an audtion room, but i was truly clueless this time. oh well, i actually feel i needed this. makes me want to work even harder to learn to conquer ANY situation.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey man, I'm sure it was nowhere near as bad as it seemed while it was happening. Been through that experience far too many times, and usually you only remember the foul ups - worse yet, the tiniest one will take on the proportions of a train derailment, when in reality it's just a minor bump in the road. A mountain out of a molehill. :D

I know you're not a "rookie", and I've even had the same experience, normally, I show up the picture of confidence and nail the audition down. But once in a while you have the "Damn, who's hands are these? They sure as HELL ain't mine!! :eek:" experience.

I bet you get a callback. :bassist:

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Good luck man! :) I am sure you did fine, even if you were a bit nervous.

I remember when I was first coming around here. I posted that I was nervous because I was about to do my first gig after a ten year break.

Someone told me to go into the bathroom, look into the mirror, and yell at the top of my lungs, "**** it!!"

So, I did.

I actually came out of that bathroom laughing (though I got some funny looks ;) ) and felt fine during the show.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Joe, it's because you suck...face it.

They probably thought you were too ugly and dressed funny also.

If it were my band, I would have tossed you out as soon as I saw you playing that lame MM bass.

In reality, people, Joe is a very cool, decent-looking ;) I guess guy, and a hell of a bassist.

For a guy who plays in a Punk band, he really does know his way around a bass and can play just about anything he wants...pick, fingerstyle, slap, fretless even.

So if you don't get the gig, it'll be their mistake. Good luck.

But next time, wear a dark suit, white shirt, solid tie, black oxfords and black calf-high socks.

sheesh.

BTW, I'm coming to Manhattan this Friday/Saturday. I'm stopping at Joey G's to look at some imported basses.

5. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Good story, sounds like you learned good things from the experience.

I've never been in a big "cattle call" audition, I've heard stories. Realize they're probably not looking for the best player, but the right player (age, looks, style, attitude, intangibles). All you can do is be yourself, be as prepared as possible, give your best effort (I'm sounding like my father...)

One audition I did, guys were scheduled about 1/2 hour apart. I was a bit early and heard the guy before me playing the tunes (I think there were 3 songs). I thought the guy was phenomenal, had so many more licks in the songs while I had put together something much more straightforward. Hearing him took me beyond worried, actually worked to relax me 'cause I figured I was sunk. So I get my turn, it was held in a little theater in Hollywood, as I was plugging in/tweaking their amp, the band went and sat in the seats with the manager. When I looked up, like, okay I'm ready, one of them says "Alright, impress us." They wanted me to just play solo for a while. The nervous came right back! Of course I had nothing prepared, so I just started noodling around with some of the busier lines from my previous band... which I thought sounded horrible, but then again they had never heard any of it. After probably 2-3 minutes of that (seemed like forever, they said "thanks" just as I running out of stuff) we jammed the three tunes, I recall doing okay but thought I was so bland next to the previous guy. Anyway, didn't mean for this to be so long, but I got the gig, ended up quitting a few months later 'cause I had no input into the bass lines, the keyboard player had all the control, they weren't looking for the most smokin' player after all.

Anyway, hope you get the call, good luck!

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    How did Courtney Love put it when she was advertising for a bass player - "We love Flea but don't want you pla play like him". You'll find that the guy with the best feel and groove will get the gig every time. Chops can work for you or against you. Groove will always get you the callback.

Let us know how you go Joe.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    AHAHAHA

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Thanks. You're too kind.

But it's sooooooooo true.... :D

Don't know where Joey G's is, but if you're around 14th St & 7th ave on Friday evening we're doing a cover gig at a bar called Flannery's. Free admission, it's a great, big bar - and we'll be there from 10pm to 2am. Stop by and say hi if ya can.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not EVERY bassist in NY because i didnt go :)

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Joey G's is on Mulberry/Canal. www.joeygmusic.com
    His inventory is SICK.

We're having a later dinner at Balthazar at 9:30pm. That's on Spring St., so I'm within a nice walking distance.

I think we can drop by.